Ground Control seatpost - I'm furious - Help!

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
My 1996 Specialized Ground Control. Found via Ebay, after talking with the owner prior to pick up it transpires he is a member on here.

Great. Nowt to worry about then.

So, I rock up, the bike comes out, quick glance, fine. Cash deal. Chat. Leave.

And then I get home.

Damn flamin seatpost seized.

So, soak it in oil and leave overnight.

Check tonight, still solid. I text the seller, and he doesnt want to know. I suggest he gives me my money back, sorts the post (if he can) and I will buy it back. No, still doesnt want to know. Git.

So much for trusting people hey :roll:

So chaps, I need help. How do I get the post out without buggering my paint?

If its the same bike I think this was in the original advert :? Try coca cola, allegedly works and a hair drier on the seatube can help shift. Theres also some fandango chemical way which sounds dangerous. Also the seatpost in a vice and twist the frame, knacker the post though.

Sorry to hear your having troubles with it :(

Your probably best using the search function there are many many threads covering the topic.

Anything from caustic soda to machine reaming to going at it for days with a saw blade.

My personal favourite method is to drill a hole through the post, insert a lever (garden fork works well) and twist/pull. There is a good chance you will shear the top of the post off though, which means you may want to try other methods first.

I am having exactly the same problem with a specialized frame i bought from a member on here, not tried coke yet but everything else has failed. Caustic soda seems the only route left :(

Sorry to hear that, it's bummer :x

If you have no luck getting the post out by tomorrow, I would travel back to the seller's house (if you willing to do it and it's near) and simply hand the frame back to him and ask him to take the post out for you with you watching him doing it, if he unable do that or he damage it then ask for your money back.

Good luck

That s*cks, I hope you get it sorted.

My stumpy with post is coming this week, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice so far guys :D

I think I will:
1) try coke
2) try the vice and twist method
3) drill it and insert something to twist it

And if these fail, a trip to my LBS as I dont want to risk the paint using chemicals :shock:

How do people sleep at night selling stuff without declaring faults :? :x

ps did you soak it upside down with the seatube filled?

Back