Gripshift MRX Have I broken shifter by seperating it?

Hi all
Learning the hard way again!

I thought I had to prize the shifter apart to replace cable. No I don't!

Now its reassembled, yes the cable moves but no clicks. The dial part runs against the numbers smoothly.

Any instructions gratefully received.

Thanks
CHoD

FluffyChicken":ibjwgvfk said:
Where is the indexing spring? MRX instructions are either in the archive&gallery or on SRAM website.

Still inside - nothing has fallen out.

Spent ages on SRAM website going around in circles! I think I must have an early model, '80s pos.

Only mine goes to '7' then space and then '8'

MRX are later Gripshifts
late 90's and in the 00's and still out now.

There isn't much to them but the spring does the ratcheting.

justr search on google images to see some pictures.

there just a pain lol, it sounds fixable, its a fiddly job getting the spring in right an cliping it back together, is this the one with little plastic points the spring sits on

Yes they are a bit fiddly, smear some good quality grease in where the detent spring piece sits, carefully insert spring, and then the main shift grip with new cable attached(this is where it becomes fiddly) and insert cable through the cable guide. Twist the grip a bit back and forth, and you will find the sweet spot where it finally seats. Don't forget the black spacer/friction washer before replacing the rubber handlebar grip.
I've been wrenching bikes for 40yrs., and I hate any grip shifters, as they're mostly all different, and IMHO, suck!!
Cheers

Back