Great big Singlespeed thread!

Re:

So, snapped the chain at the weekend :x , think the chainline was slightly out, I've now spaced the rear sprocket over a bit to hopefully fix that.
Chainring is an On One stainless 32T, sprocket is an On One singlespeed 18T from their singlespeed conversion kit. Both say they work with 3/32 or 1/8 chains. Frame is an On one inbred singlespeed, with on one chain tugs (for q/r wheel)

Trying to fit a new singlespeed 1/8" chain, it's either way too slack, or too tight to join together, there's not enough adjustment available to get it right.

Do I need a half link? Or would a 3/32 chain be a better fit?
I thought half links were for frames with vertical dropouts that had no other way to adjust chain length?

I've never owned a singlespeed compatible frame that has needed a half link. You should have more than enough adjustment without resorting to that. Are you using a weird tyre/rim combo?

It's 29" rim with 29x2.4 tyre.

Thing is, with the back wheel fully forward in the dropouts, the chaintugs already seem to be halfway through their adjustment (bolts are halfway in ). which means there's not the full range of adjustment to take up the chain slack??

Oddly, the old chain seemed to need only a little tensioning to get it right? The new chain is a Clarks singlespeed/bmx chain.

I realise this is a non-drive side pic, but do your dropouts look like this?

inbred29er5.jpg

If so there is plenty room there for adjustment. It's probably something really simple. Try it without the tugs first up.

Re:

Thats the ones, you're right, it'll be something simple, it's not rocket science after all :LOL:

I'll have another look tomorrow....

Re:

Hmm... I'd not thought of trying it without the chain tugs :facepalm: just assumed they were required.

Anyway, I found a half link (knew I'd seen in my box of bits!), and with the 32/18 setup it was just the job.
As I've been thinking about running a bigger rear sprocket anyway after going from 26" wheels to 29" I stripped down a road cassette and pillaged the 21T sprocket. Without the half link the 32/21 setup was spot on, a little tweak and the chain was tensioned.
I'll give it a test ride tomorrow after work., I have 2 questions though...

1. Is there any issues running a 21T sprocket instead of a 20 or 22?

2. The 21T sprocket is from a normal road cassette, I assume the singlespeed chain might not be too happy running on a "regular" sprocket?

The 21 sprocket should be OK short term, just a bit narrow for that chain, but it will work enough to let you know whether the 21 is what you want and then just replace it with a singlespeed specific one, they will just last longer and stop any sideways movement in the chain. On one and Surly do good value sprockets.
Its an Inbred so everything and anything should fit it ;)

Jamie

Back