Great big Singlespeed thread!

Re:

Geax Goma 2.25 folding - £6 each from On One! They've got a massive sale on at the moment, loads of 26" tyres for silly cheap.

Can I ask what gearing you're running on the Surly?

Re: Re:

gradeAfailure":1cpxbdy8 said:
Geax Goma 2.25 folding - £6 each from On One! They've got a massive sale on at the moment, loads of 26" tyres for silly cheap.

Can I ask what gearing you're running on the Surly?

I have geax tyres on the km and they are good but mine aren't very good in mind forget what model they are.

coomber":1cpxbdy8 said:
Good question. I bought this recently so kept as it is.

34 / 20 at the mo. Its pretty easy going but I did push second half of a 17% hill near the start as post op im not meant to be putting too much through my knee.

On the flat road its spinny but that suits me at the moment with fitness and injury.

Also good for mud at moment as its hard work

Re:

What chainrings are you guys using on your singlespeed mtb's at the moment? I'm thinking I'll go for a 32T with either 18 or 20 out back (it can get quite hilly!), is there any need for a narrow/wide chainring ? Or will a regular chainring with a chain tensioner be sufficient to prevent a dropped chain?

I've had a roadgoing singlespeed bike before, just concerned about keeping the chain in place on a rigid singlespeed mtb.

I am currently running a Middleburn front on my 1X1, singlespeed specific I think, maybe not, but no ramps or pins. On my Pugsley I am running a Surly stainless front. Both run Surly rears or sometimes On One rears on the Pugs. Both of mine are singlespeed dropouts so no real fear of a normally tensioned chain dropping.
Years back when I ran the Stumpjumpers I just used non ramped or pinned chainrings on the front, one I really liked was a 9 speed designed Middleburn, really light and hardly looked like it was wearing and then a large rock took 3 teeth off it. :(
A singlespeed designed chainring in either of the standard widths will be more than adequate as long as its tensioned/aligned properly then it should never come off whether its tensioned in the dropouts or with a tensioner.
What frame are you running it on Jimo?

Jamie

Re:

^^^ that looks a good deal. Kaiser didnt you get a rooster? Any thoughts on it?

New brake pads, New superstar wheels, New headset and overall a bit of love and my karate monkey is looking like this. Front set up tubeless and rear is ready to go just deciding what rear tyre to use.

That's a 2.5" minion on the front. Widest tyre I've ever used, looks like a motorbike tyre!

Ride report to come.

coomber, the KM is looking great :) Be good to hear how it goes and what you think of the changes.
Kaiser, that's a great deal, thanks for sharing ;)

See you soon at the Puffer?

Jamie

Re:

Can't beat a KM coomber, future classic IMO. Funnily enough I was out on the Rooster today, very very happy with the way its worked out, does everything I was after from it, admittedly the star of the show is the plus size tyres but it is a fine steel bike.

Jamie, yes will be at the Puffer, are you soloing? I take it Brian is going too? Which reminds me, are you interested at all in a pair of On One BSC fat bike tyres? They really don't suit the 80mm rim but would be fine on a 65 I think, maybe even the Spanks?

Jamiedyer":3a7l54da said:
What frame are you running it on Jimo?

it's an On One Inbred frame I bought on here, vertical dropouts so I'll be using a chain tensioner, but it means I can revert to gears if I find I'm not man enough for a singlespeed :LOL:

Kaiser, thanks for that link, think I'll try one of those.

Back