Great big Singlespeed thread!

mechanical_vandal":1hklxjys said:
Finally had my Fireeye SS 69er and a decent camera out together so,

DSCF0019_zpshsbu5k4s.jpg

Now that looks like fun! Kris Holm front rim? Knard 29+ tyre looks like it's seen some mud! :shock: You thought of any of the newer 29+ tyres options? Been contemplating a chronicle for the front of my Ti-Mar.

Yeah its a Kris Holm.

I normally buy pretty entry level tyres so the Knard was a big investment for me hence I'll not be changing it until I need to! I do want to try run it tubeless though, when I got it it was sort of folded in the middle of the tread and the beads sat really close together and it wouldn't hold any air so there's a tube in it for now.

I started out lower than that but just felt like my legs were spinning pointlessly so ended up on 48/14 which feels balanced.

In my defence I go to the gym five days a week and don't drive so cycling is my main mode of transport so I'm in reasonable shape.

DominicH83":1rg9ojws said:
I started out lower than that but just felt like my legs were spinning pointlessly so ended up on 48/14 which feels balanced.

In my defence I go to the gym five days a week and don't drive so cycling is my main mode of transport so I'm in reasonable shape.

If it works for you, then it works for you, but 48:18 is like trying to ride everything in the next to highest gear on a triple chainset. Not many steep technical climbs round your way then?

I live in Birmingham, it's pretty flat! If I'm out anywhere that has climbs I'll take a geared bike, mainly use the above down the canals and on the roads, with a bit of light off-road thrown in.

The idea was something simple, light and fast and it ticks the boxes :)

Mechanical Vandal, that FireEye looks like a great ride, really cool and purposeful.
That Cinder Cone is looking the business, really nice.
Agree with Andy though, thats some gearing, but I suppose we are both riding mountains, hills and off road so it looks huge to us. Road or hills, much respect for turning that anywhere but a velodrome :)
Shinobi, hows that Kaboom coming along?
Must admit I have been riding my 1X1 a lot more this year than my Pugsley but the Pugs has just had new bearings in the singlespeed hub and rebuilt the XT rear hub that I run on the front with a singlecog. The rear cartridge bearings were well shot, almost dry and quite a bit of rusty discolouration. This comes obviously from riding through salt water all the time but the front XT or (Rear hub technical) was needing grease but not dry at all, everything was clean and the freewheel as good as new. A quick repack in some new waterprrof grease from the guys up here who lay the underwater pipelines, and its spinning better than new.
It seems a shame really as the plan is to fit a fixxer on this hub and then I can swap from either a freeweel singlespeed to a fixie just by swapping the wheels front to back. Have been desperate to try the Pugs as a fixie :) Maybe a new paint job for it as well.

Jamie

Cheers, yeah it really is a heap of fun. I'd no idea when I was building it that it'd turn out so good but it's totally revolutionised my technical riding. Needs some better brakes though, the rear XT 4 pot is ok but that 6 pot thing on the front isn't great. My mate says he'll be selling his SLX brakes once the new XT comes out so think I'll just wait about for that.

Came in here just to post that I'm going to list a singlespeed converted Kona CinderCone as soon as I get some decent pics of it.

Have made a classifieds listing for it in the <97 section, hope it's ok to spam here, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=324231

Back