Front gear lever - advice plese

capitanfigueras

Retro Guru
Have an old shimano front mech gear level which doesn't seem to work properly. It moves the front mech but the mech wont stay in the new position and the drops back to the granny ring . I've tried the lever without any tension and can't hear the usual click. Before I take it apart is the problem fixable?

Picture of lever below. Cheers.

Attachments

• bike stuff 007 (Small).jpg
    bike stuff 007 (Small).jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 605
The shifters are probably full'o'crud and old grease, a good clean and lube should do the trick. The Pawls probably aren't engageing properly.

yes, the grease thickens with age, gently peel the plastic cover back and you'll see what is going on.

prescription is as above.

Martin":27hatm1z said:
LTS Biker":27hatm1z said:
Try spaying the inside with Brunox or wd40. DON'T take them apart!

It's like magic. :D

Go on take 'erm apart, I took mine apart cleaned and lubricated all of the pawls and managed to put them back together again! Every time you remove a part take a photo so you will know where it all goes.

alistair":2o6imyy8 said:
Go on take 'erm apart, I took mine apart cleaned and lubricated all of the pawls and managed to put them back together again! Every time you remove a part take a photo so you will know where it all goes.

Don't listen to him!

Follow the other guys advice, fill them up with GT85 or similar.

I made the mistake of taking a set to pieces when I serviced a friend's bike. They are full of tiny bits and very powerful springs that are capable of firing afore mentioned tiny bits in to corners you never knew your man cave had.

Back