Freewheel and gear tech help required

wackywacerwill

Dirt Disciple
So... I have a 12spd and would like to go faster, what's my best option? I was thinking a new freewheel with a smaller small cog though can't seem to find nowt smaller than the 14 that I'm already pushing, do such things exist or should I be looking at a biggerer front?

If I was to go down the new rear route can I chuck a 7 cogger on or am I limited to the 6?

Loads of Q's have a pic as thanks.

4391767279_e206f7e9e2.jpg

Sadly not my bike

Sadly not my stereo...

If the rear spacing is 126mm then you should be able to put a 7-speed on. You can buy new ones but they tend to be cheap and nasty. Plenty of new old stock on ebay, many with 13 sprockets. You won't be able to find them with the kind of range we're used to these days. Lots of 13-19 racing blocks around, which don't suit me.

Free alternative - pedal faster ;)

What have you got at the moment?

52/42 front?

14-** rear?

More ratios on the freewheel usually means closer ratios not bigger gears, and remember spinning - souplesse - is good for you. I think Eddy (Mercx) never rode with less than a 13/14.

Big gears became fashionable in the 1980s in the peloton Hinault was a big gear guy and paid for it with tendonitis.

If you can spin 52/14 then you should be going pretty fast.

Roadking.

Thanks peoples, some great info there. My comute to work always starts with a stonking big down hill which I guess is why I felt the need for taller gearing. Happy with the ratios on the 12 spd other than that so if I have the space to squeeze a 7 block with a 13 I may do that.

Think the front is 52/42 but would need to check to be sure. Come to think of it I don't know how long the cranks are either.

Don't get preoccupied with crank lengths; your legs will not tell the difference between 170mm and 172.5mm!

Especially if you don't have a frame that was made for you.

Roadking.

Assuming the a 52 at the front, if you're spinning out on and need a bigger gear than 52x14, you should be a pro :D Pedalling down hill doesn't count.

Freewheeling down a hill is my "reward" for getting up it.

No pro by any stretch :LOL: I'm new to skinny wheeled bikes and just thought it would be taller geared, granted I only feel this when descending and thinking about it by love of motorcycles and previous single track bashing probably has a large bearing on the speed factor.

It is a 52 14 and 170 crank with slightly ropey bb, guess my penny's are better placed elsewhere on this new cycle.

Thanks for all the info, it's good to to hear learned reason. :roll:

Hi Will,

My old 1984 6 speed hack (126 OLN spacing) was recently converted to 7 speed and is working great with a 50-34 compact chainset up front. In my opinion, it's definitely worth having an extra cog over an old 6-speed, although I agree with the argument about maybe not needing a huge top gear.

New 7 speed freewheels are widely available. Mostly Sunrace and Shimano. SJS do the best range but also EBay and Amazon among others. Available with a small cog as low as 11, on the Shimano mega-range 11-34.

They're so cheap I bought three, including an 11-34 and a 14-28.

Notwithstanding previous comments about cheap quality, I think of all components it's the least critical to have top notch in a freewheel. I'm using mine all year round, including in filthy, wet weather. I keep mine cleaned and well lubricated and see no reason why they shouldn't last for ages. Plenty of Finish Line MTB oil will be my long term tactic.

Sure, they're a bit on the heavy side but they're robust and that's what really matters in a freewheel. Remember the bearings in a freewheel only come into operation when you're feewheeling, usually downhill, so if they're not quite Campy Record quality is it really an issue? I think not, especially at just over a tenner.

wackywacerwill":3fqq4gy8 said:
Think the front is 52/42 but would need to check to be sure. Come to think of it I don't know how long the cranks are either.

Looks like smaller than 42 if the big ring is 52. Which is in your favour if you have hills to climb!

On the comments about crank length, looking at your frame (50cm size?) if you have short legs you would definitely want 170mm IMHO.

Latest posts

Back