Freehub support removal

foxb13

Retro Guru
Hi,

I'm working on a rear Pulstar hub. USA-made, not Taiwan. The drive-side bearing is shot. But to extract this (sealed) bearing, I had to remove the freehub, including the star part (don't know the name) that screws into the hub shell. This star part has 4 pins, 2.2mm diameter each with 26mm diameter between them. Should I go with a pin spanner ala Park Tool SPA-2 (or SPA-6 for an adjustable one) or rather something like the HCW-4? Or any tool that would plug in the star directly?

IMG_7062.jpg

Thank for any advice!

The shape of Park Tool HCW-4 didn't allow reaching the pins of the freewheel support. So I went with SPA-2 pin spanner. Now THE question: unscrew in clockwise or counter-clockwise? I tried counter-clockwise, as freewheel will naturally screw clockwise when pedaling. No progress at the moment... Or maybe the freewheel support is furthermore bonded!

I would suggest making a 4-pin tool.
Iirc we had one, originally for those bb cups that rarely come out with a pin spanner, but I haven't seen it in yonks.
Id suggest making a 4-pin tool using something like this with those replaceable pins: Screenshot_20241004-203437_Firefox.jpg
There was probably either a specific tool for it, or that 4pin tool that I remember fitted perfectly. It looks similar to the bb pattern.

And bolting the tool onto the hub through the axle hole.
A quarter century without lube on the threads and a tiny tool interface isn't a great combination

And bolting the tool onto the hub through the axle hole.
A quarter century without lube on the threads and a tiny tool interface isn't a great combination
I will not stoop to your level..... hehe lube your tiny tool for aged axle holes...... OK I will stoop to your level pass through it and find the hidden easter egg of filth on the other side.

Thanks for the ideas. Double challenge: find this 4-pin spanner (or make one; so triple challenge) and a vice not too far from me.

Can I just point out that it looks like the hub is only half laced, I would usually, like others recommend using a vice and turning the wheel, but in this case with a half laced wheel you could twist the rim

Can I just point out that it looks like the hub is only half laced, I would usually, like others recommend using a vice and turning the wheel, but in this case with a half laced wheel you could twist the rim

Only one way though.
But if the freehub drive force is transmitted to the hub through the plate, its going to be a right hand thread to remove, and stuck on there big time.

Back