Frame Designs that Shouldn't Work but Do!

Interesting fast fact, although the Textima frames were built and designed in East Germany by Diamant/Textima they weren't allowed any decals or advertising whatsoever at international evnts so the bikes were usually done up in a boring DDR battleship blue!

Probably one of the greatest bicycle designers of our time and often overlooked was Dr Alex Moulton. The space frame Moulton is the stiffest steel frame out there that defys logic with it's small diameter tube triangulated construction with virtually no flex at the bottom bracket when force is applied to the cranks. I proved this on my first Space Frame Moulton by destroying two chainsets in the first three weeks of ownership..

DSC03856.JPG

Blimey that Hotta brings back some memories, it was the first carbon bike I'd seen at our local TT. Only guy who could afford one was a double glazing magnate (similar to a fridge one!). It was pink and white as I remember.

I was not in the least bit jealous 😁

Last edited:
Don't know about "shouldn't work", but I was very pleasantly surprised by this ingenious design. A folding bike that rides just like a normal bike.

Gearing options are somewhat limited, and the (virtual) seat tube angle changes with the saddle height. At 26 lbs it is pretty light, too.

The Bridgestone Grandtech GR-27:

adcf34e8-c94e-4dc4-b025-6be298eefe81.jpg

77629288-e6a1-4cd8-910c-5c0f6b00a5a7.jpg

Back