Thanks for the offer, I am happy to take your word for it as I find trying out other people's nice stuff is usually followed by an urge to spend money I shouldn't 😁
In reality the decathlon bike would work well for me if I could find a longer seat post that fits. I won't look now though as it found a willing rider to use it as is.
No problem, open offer if you need to try one, I feel your pain regarding spending money :)

1878, one of the first folding bicycles designed by William Grout. With this one, a penny farthing; the wheel actually folds into four segments (solid tyres). Apparently three times more expensive than a normal one.

Grout_portable_bike.jpg

At the end of the 19th century several folding or separable bicycles were conceived for armies.

In 1900 Pedersen made a separable Dursley Pedersen for the British army, actually used in battle:

1900-Folding-Perdersen-03.jpg

The creation of French captain of infantery Henri Gérard from 1894 which we already saw:

Gerard-vouwfiets-1.jpg

Dutch lieutenant T.L. van Wagtendonk designed a folding military bicycle in 1900. They were built by Burgers and Fongers for military and civilian use.
1671635106205.jpeg 1671635213621.jpeg

Fongers also developed their own military folder, maybe the first with smaller wheels (to accommodate the munition bags). Never put into production.

images

Something I was thinking about recently, as I've gotten the tram more, is how few folders I see here. There was a big boom in the 70s and 80s I believe, with them marketed as camping bicycles, usually stashed at a summerhouses and caravan sites. I reckon they were quickly abandoned and forgotten. Very uncomfortable.

Which leads me to today, where there's quite a selection of folders and public transport is more cramped. (Busses have less space. Trains as well) I decided to look up the price of a Brompton here. 1500 pounds almost? I can't justify an outlay like that, what makes them so expensive? No wonder people would rather get a cheap ebike or one of those electric scooters for commuting duties.

Something I was thinking about recently, as I've gotten the tram more, is how few folders I see here. There was a big boom in the 70s and 80s I believe, with them marketed as camping bicycles, usually stashed at a summerhouses and caravan sites. I reckon they were quickly abandoned and forgotten. Very uncomfortable.

Which leads me to today, where there's quite a selection of folders and public transport is more cramped. (Busses have less space. Trains as well) I decided to look up the price of a Brompton here. 1500 pounds almost? I can't justify an outlay like that, what makes them so expensive? No wonder people would rather get a cheap ebike or one of those electric scooters for commuting duties.
I guess being a bit of a niche bicycle makes them more expensive. A Brompton I think makes sense when you commute and it is being used every day, then it can be justified. For more occasional use, a second hand Dahon will go a long way, I think.

Back