Eroica Britannia 2016 - anyone signed up?

Montello":sny1ej5w said:
I don't think I have seen anyone doing the ride on fixed; it would be foolish.

I was catching my breath & taking a photo at the top of Mam Nick last year, feeling pretty chuffed with myself havig made it up in one go, when about 30 seconds behind me, an Italian guy on a fixed 30's behemoth cranks his way up, pauses only to flip his flop, and then freewheels down the other side...

************************/images/eroicabritannia/6.jpg

This guy?

Re:

Really looking forward to this again. Loved this years one, the ride the festival and locals.

Re:

Sounds like there's a few of us going then. I'm on for the medium route again, so it'd be nice to see some Retrobikers out and maybe share a few drinks.
I'll be on my 1938 BSA Sports again - single fixed, no flip flopping around! Had it years, keep meaning to do a build thread for it. Dad's got his dad's 1936 Hercules fixed. Bye bye knees!

Matlock Cycling Club member and friend, Richard Thoday rode the short route last year on his Penny Farthing! There's a photo of him on Montello's blog report.

He also rode up Monsal head hill-climb this year in front of a big crowd as someone bet he couldn't! He didn't rise to the bait when someone mentioned he couldn't ride up Riber though!

Oh yeah, I'll be entering L'Eroica next year too. Only did the 55 mile route, but the food and company were so good it took nearly all day!

I'm booked and eager but deciding on which bike and which distance to do, going solo so would be nice to meet up with other retro bikers and ride along

Re:

I wouldn't worry about going on your own. You will get talking ans hook up with people straight away. Only two of us went last year (same this year) and we did. People are very friendly and supporting. Its great being able to talk to so many like minded people about old bikes and times to. Think we are going to do the short route this year. Did the med one last year and while we enjoyed it it did take us a while so this year we want to get back earlier and enjoy the final day at the festival a bit as well.

Just signed up now need to build the bike. Planning on doing the 100 on a fixed track bike! Riding 100 miles there and 100 miles back carrying my camping stuff. Then the 100 . Not quiet figured whether to tow my fixed behind another bike or put a rack on the fixed. Costing me £120 for a weekend. Then there is the bike and I need some shoes. This is more expensive than heroin.

Back