Does Your Bike Want To Kill You

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
I have a comfy aluminium hardtail from the late 90's called a Quantum Team. I have never heard of the make but its some generic frame, nothing special. The bikes the right size for me, nothing feels wrong in any way but its trying to kill me.
I am now convinced that a bike, an inanimate object, a tool powered and operated by humanity has become possessed by the devil. 😈
Every time I ride off road on it I crash, painfully, usually involving a superman impression by me as I go over the bars. I don't crash so badly or at all on other bikes.

Do you have one or several bikes that you have become suspicious of its motives in regard to harm it has dished out to you or are you convinced I have gone mad and need to take my pills🙁

I know what you mean, my trek and my univega keep throwing me to the ground for no apparent reason, my raleigh and my dawes i can ride with no issues 😆

I put it down to the traditional retro riding position. Arse up in the air, chin over the front tire, hands shoulder width apart on 21” bars.

When you ride retro, you sit on the bike. With my more modern bikes (2007 / 2010) you sit in it. Over the bars moments seem to happen much less often with the latter.

I recall riding my Pine Mountain back in the day, down a local, grassy, high speed hill. I swear that bike wanted nothing more than to send me to oblivion. It did so with some success on quite a few occasions..

Sign of a good bike is one that makes you feel like pushing more and more till you crash!
Sign of a great bike is one that makes you feel like pushing more and more and letting you get away with it👍
I think there's room in my life at my age for a great bike.🙄

I'm permanently crippled after my '95 S-Works 'hopper tried to kill me on the way to work. This was almost six years ago, and I still haven't gotten up the courage to ride that thing again.

Yes. A modern 27.5er. I haven't really crashed in over a decade but after finishing it I took it for a maiden voyage through my local park to a shop. It felt skittish for some reason, maybe the wide bars and short stem, but not that different to my ti 29er, but I managed to crash and end up in the middle of a road in front of an oncoming car (which didn't even stop to see if I was ok). Pride bruised, bike and rider okay but I've never felt right on it and have not ridden it for a while as a result.

I am toying with giving it to my son as he's grown and it will just about fit him. Maybe that's why it never felt right, as realistically it is a size too small.

Aside from it being a lot of bike for what he will use it for (full xt 11x1, lots of good carbon, Thompson, magura mt6, crossmax and revs), I wonder if it is evil (not the brand)? Any accidents he has on it I will feel totally responsible for, not something I should be encouraging for a 13 year old.

I have a comfy aluminium hardtail from the late 90's called a Quantum Team. I have never heard of the make but its some generic frame, nothing special. The bikes the right size for me, nothing feels wrong in any way but its trying to kill me.
I am now convinced that a bike, an inanimate object, a tool powered and operated by humanity has become possessed by the devil. 😈
Every time I ride off road on it I crash, painfully, usually involving a superman impression by me as I go over the bars. I don't crash so badly or at all on other bikes.

Do you have one or several bikes that you have become suspicious of its motives in regard to harm it has dished out to you or are you convinced I have gone mad and need to take my pills🙁
I would suggest Velo that your bike cant live up to your abilities, and what you need is some modern 29er full suss. 170/160mm type of set up.

Back