Do you want Windows 10-Yes ? No ?.

We have loads of crud and a slow processor (some cheapy I3, soon to be replaced) and we still boot up in 10 or 12 seconds, give or take. Takes longer to get the telly switched on! The SSD helps massively tho.

And when i did the install i had about 10 pages of options, click on this, select that, switch that on (or off)......... maybe that was just as it was an install rather than an upgrade. (i did the upgrade then re installed later on)

dyna-ti":sndpji60 said:
Slower overall. Especially on boot up. went from 12 seconds to near 30. I have no 'load of crud' installed because this in my gaming alienware set up and its got nothing but a single browser that the gaming servers use, and no extras that require updates etc etc. No apps, no nothings. Game game game and all on ultra no matter the game, at over 100fps on average.
I ran a bench test a bit back for cs:s and got back near a thousand fps :LOL:

My verdict is its too intrusive and sucks up ram like a sponge(looks liek its using 20%, maybe more instead of the 12% im usually running on. For some reason it really really likes to interact with google :? :?

Not that I want to defend Win10, but on some machines there can be an improvement whereas on others it bogs down the machine completely. It's always been that way. My old netbook always ran like the clappers on Vista whereas it had a hard time doing anything with XP or Win7.
So that might explain why your experiences contradict eachother.

@Mattr : It's perfectly possible that MS upgraded the PC without his consent. The whole thing started with update KB3035583.
The first time MS released that update, it allowed people to "reserve" their Windows 10 upgrade.
Over the past year they re-released the same update several times, each time with more agressive pop-ups. Here's some examples, in (IIRC) chronological order :

With the above 3, your only way to stop the PC from scheduling the upgrade was to click the "close" button. This created so much backlash that they had to provide an option to reschedule or cancel the upgrade. So they did that in their typical manner :

There are plenty of people complaining that pop-ups appear and then disappear again before they have time to read them. So it's perfectly possible that Dyna's PC got the pop-up and it was gone before anyone noticed it, thereby readying the PC for the upgrade.

It's not the first time Microsoft had an "oopsie" that upgraded PCs without users' explicit consent either :
http://www.infoworld.com/article/299411 ... ws-10.html

Attachments

• 3163284.png
    3163284.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 384
  • windows-10-upgrade.png
    windows-10-upgrade.png
    69 KB · Views: 384
  • windows-10-upgrade-100634515-large.jpeg
    windows-10-upgrade-100634515-large.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 384
  • im_windows10upgradeoffer4_2015_11_25_wed_first.png
    im_windows10upgradeoffer4_2015_11_25_wed_first.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 384
Ah. Could well be it.
I had the first one then upgraded. No issues.
The other computers had it two or three times then got locked down a bit. No more pop ups.

I never saw the last pop up as i guess i stopped it before it appeared on my screen and i no longer get them thanks to Raging_Bulls help ..

I was confronted with a black screen with UPGRADING on it. There was nothing to click, and my keyboard was totally disabled. It was at least 80% through its progress when i noticed it and bloody hell is that a stealth operation :shock: No increase in HD noise, the first i knew was a beep and the mouse switching off.
Nothing , even after it was fully loaded on told me i could undo the changes and revert to 8.1. I found that out on a tech site.
The US and the UK governments need full access to everyones systems and media. W10 and its new terms confirm that.

mattr":smc0l2a8 said:
And when i did the install i had about 10 pages of options, click on this, select that, switch that on (or off)......... maybe that was just as it was an install rather than an upgrade. (i did the upgrade then re installed later on)

That's something else you've got to watch with Windows 10 - several times now they've issued updates that "accidentally" switched back on settings that users have manually disabled to get their telemetry etc running in the background again. More obvious are the overriding of manually selected file associations to the MS defaults which again they've done several times.

Of course it's worth remembering that they've backported some of their malware features to Windows 7 + 8.1 so if you run those it's worth reading up on how to disable that too as it can make a huge difference to the performance of your PC.

Personally I'm very happy that I took the little bit of effort to switch to Linux nearly 20 years ago for both work and home use... I'm pleased to discover in this thread that I may be really really clever as I hadn't realised it was unusable :D

Re:

Well Jam,

Linux is of course very useable, but for the IT illiterate?

I don't tend to use emoticons, but I guess I ought to start, most of what I say is tongue in cheek.

The truth is Win 10 is pretty solid. I have installed it on lots of machines and very few issues.

Problem with Linux is you need to know a fair bit to sort out any problems.

I guess it is always good to learn though, but that kind of stinks when you need to collect your email in a hurry.

dyna-ti":3n7cxogv said:
I was confronted with a black screen with UPGRADING on it. There was nothing to click, and my keyboard was totally disabled. It was at least 80% through its progress when i noticed it and bloody hell is that a stealth operation :shock: No increase in HD noise, the first i knew was a beep and the mouse switching off.
Nothing , even after it was fully loaded on told me i could undo the changes and revert to 8.1. I found that out on a tech site.
The US and the UK governments need full access to everyones systems and media. W10 and its new terms confirm that.
It's actually the opposite, the info is for the inter workings of mainly Cortana as a day go day assistance, that is why it is collected locally and backed up in the cload if you are connected with an account for it to work across multiple devices, just like the other companies where programs try to be helpful. It's also a notification that the debug and if asked for assistance from them may need it to help out.

Microsoft are actually agais the government's being allowed to have access to the data. Of course it easy and much better to think they are using it for spying reasons. Makes a better headline.

Remember don't use anything Apple, Google, Android(Linux based remember), probably some of the large Linux distros with anything 'helpful', Facebook. Never log onto anything online, especially search engines.

It's up to you in the end. I like the helpfulness of Google on my phone so they can 'collect away' as people call it and make my life simpler, read my emails so they can pull flight tickets, where I'm going, group them together, give me suggestions on travel times, reminders.
Doesn't bother me.

Oh and never use email.

I'm also part of MSs Insiders so they collect even more so they can mind control me.

Even my work is reading my emails and tracking my site, it even controls the ones I can view.

I think here might be the last turn off of the updating to Win10/as it soon to blank out stop as you have to pay. It is probably some old tick you did that has now been put out into a set date and not deferred, probably some days before as it then is placed in the scheduling. I think that's in the pictures a above. It is bad form to place it into automatic.
I must say scheduling in Win10 for updates is much improved and then scheduling with Steam downloads (this could be made clearer) is much better, not to mention the improved graphics apis.
Means I never really noticed it now and that includes full OS update via insiders.

Think I might go run Win10 IOT on my RaspberryPI just so they can datamine there too...

Re:

P.s. to much written in a small mobile window, don't bother reading the above as I couldn't check any of it. Luckily Google knows what I typed.

Well if im stuck with it then i suppose ill make the best it. Slows things horribly though, even opening pages or navigating around, it takes its time.
Thank goodness the games function and i havent been hit with any of the horrors ive read about, like not recognising passwords, thinking its old ones from years ago.

So what else can W10 do ?

Back