Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gripshift ok - not cool or uncool!

• I HATE GRIPSHIFT! UNCOOL!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've always used them as I have stated elsewhere here, 2 main reasons:

1 - cold fingers in winter don't use levers very well, but wrist can always rotate gripshift. If this isn't an issue for you you can't be riding in winter! (And forget the gloves argument as they make it hard to use lever shifters too!).
2 - technical singletrack always rapping knuckles on finger shifters/levers, no problem with gripshift.

I never ever had it change gear by accident because wrist rotated accidentally.

Regarding getting gunked up a) what gear system doesn't, ending up in poor performance b) get a RAW powerspring in your rear mech (like I did over 10 years ago and still use!) and this eliminates the problem. This could be used with rapidfires as well of course WHEN (not IF) they also get gunked up ;)

At least with thumbshifters, when my shifters got gunked up, I had a BIG_F*ING_LEVER to grab and make that sucker shift. With grip shit, under the same conditions I might as well be grabbing a limp dick. Beg your pardons.

pah! :D right...

1- Don't ride in winter??? Ride all year round in snow whatever. Can always push/pull a lever regardless of how wet/muddy/icy they are. Wet muddy gripeshift and you have next to no chance. Seen enough people cursing these things for screwing up their race.

2- What are you doing rapping knuckles on levers? Adjust them to be in the right place!!

And as for having to twist your whole wrist to change gear? Whats that all about? With rapidfire you can flick down a gear with one small index finger movement (meant to be thumb activated, but adjust them right and you can use them as the new XTR work ;) ), up with small thumb movement, and change gear while breaking too :D

No contest.
Actually, they do win on weight, which is usually right up my priority list. Just shows how little I think of them :cry:

;)

Ok calm down (it's a comercial, nooo!). I guess everybody is different and is going to have their reasons because they have different riding styles etc, so in a bid to be fair about this let's just accept that we're right and you're wrong and leave it at that ;)

Gump, I thought I was only only one that did that with XTR rapid fires...

Yep, adjust them right, and you can use your thumb for both shifts. Word.

hey, nice and chilled here! :D

(and I can still use my RF thank you..)

Really though, there are few bits of equipment I object to as much as these. Its what has put me off a Rohloff in new skool land :cry:

I've done that too on the one bike I have that I inherited with rapidfire where I haven't got round to changing to gripshift yet :oops:

Still don't like 'em for the extra convenience that this gives you!!

NOT COOL!

I used x-rays on a bike with the uprated springs in the shifters and rear mech.

The clear plastic went opaque in the winter because of the cold and one crash broke open the top of the shifter which then let in all the crap and stopped working.

I've used thumbies or STI on every bike since.

Back