Confirmation Needed: Is this Team Issue Marin 1997?

DublinGary

Retro Newbie
Hey all,
Long time lurker here, now I have something to brag about, I thought I'd gloat in public.
I picked this up today. I work in a bike shopp here in dublin and have been looking for a replacement for the '95 Team Marin that was stolen from me in 2002. I loved that bike and I had easily put over 10,000 miles on it as a courier.

I used to run it with magura's and either an xt or 105 groupset (using xt shifters).

Since it's loss, I have being stopping people on the street offering them cash for thier old Marins, all of lower spec than the Team I used to own.

A few weeks ago, on a Sunday, a customer arrived into the shop looking for his first road bike. He rode to me on the bike below.

I ran up to him and asked how much he wanted for it, and after some haggling, we agreed a price. I just assumed it was a Team Marin, not a team Issue as I was blinded by seeing it and failed to notice the finer details.

I know of Team Titaniums, but never even saw a Team Issue before. From some web snooping, I am confident it is a 1997 Team Issue, with a mixture of components on it.
I'll post the full spec list later, but want to point out the incredibly light Matinou Answer TiSX forks.
The XTR rear mech and Crankset, the XT combined 8speed brakes/shifters and XT V Brakes. Currently there is a STX front mech with a top pull to bottm pull adapter on it. The front mech will be swapped to XTR later in the week, as I have a new-old one here.

The Tange Prestige Tubeset still feels like new, I havent had a Steel hardtail since 2001 and the rockhopper I bought to replace it never felt the same (Alu). The handling through traffic was beautiful, I cannot wait to set it up as I want it and get it off road.

Tomorrow I will fit an old-new set of Kona P2 forks and a new cableset, the chain and cassette seem ok, the chainset is missing a bolt, the bottom bracket is a bit rough, but is adjustable and serviceable.
I will replace whats needed to get it running 100% for now, but plan on fitting 2009 XTR cranks, mechs and shifters and either Avid SD or XTR V brakes. But this will be a project for next year as the purchase has wiped out the last of my disposable cash for the year.

I do plan on respraying it along with a Stumpjumer and an 1983 Dawes Imperial frame I have lying around. I plan on riding this as my main MTB for the next year so I cannot do a classic restore.

I will be looking for a loving home for the forks, the STI's and maybe the White industries/Mavic 217 front wheel. I know there is allot of Marin love here, so any interested parties, please PM me.

Better pics after a good clean and tune up.

Attachments

• Marin Team Issue 014.jpg
    Marin Team Issue 014.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 3,261
  • Marin Team Issue 031.jpg
    Marin Team Issue 031.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 3,261
  • Marin Team Issue 006.jpg
    Marin Team Issue 006.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 3,261
from what i know the Team Issue had the same frame as the Team Marin but was kitted out better with XTR as opposed to XT. Basically it was their number 2 bike behind the Team Ti. Its nice as well by the way :cool:

haggis":52p0vmy0 said:
from what i know the Team Issue had the same frame as the Team Marin but was kitted out better with XTR as opposed to XT. Basically it was their number 2 bike behind the Team Ti. Its nice as well by the way :cool:

That's certainly true of earlier bikes and no reason why not for this year either, there was sometimes a 3rd bike in the range using the same frame as well.

It's only the year that is needed and I don't have a any catalogues to check the styling against after 1995, but the serial would give the date.
Though I would go with 1997 as 1996 was pewter amd 1998 was white. While 1997 was lime green.
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike

Good on Marin for not skimping on a bottom bracket downgrade in their spec

Thanks for the info, after getting the bike last week, I was asking around for old kit mates had lying around.
I scored a set of 8 speed XTR shitfter/brake levers, XTR front hub on 521 rim and XT rear hub on 521 to complete the period look.
I spent time today fitting new bars (Ritchey WCS) and stem (temporary BBB to judge lenght)
I've fitted a 11-32 SRAM cassette and chain and a new cableset also.
The Ahead is still smooth, but the bottom bracket is a bit rough, I belive they are serviceable, but doubt it will be salvageable.
I'm fitting Kona P2's during the week and the rear wheel needs a rebuild, I'll post pics when done.

As for the serial, even after the clean, it's quite hard to read, my best guess is
F87GAC082

any Marin fanboys interested in the front end as I got it - XT 8speeds, Marin bars, stem and Answer TI spring forks. Also White industries front hub on 317(i think).

Nice bike!
I have had this for a few years already...

Just keen to know if this was made in USA or overseas?
I know it doesn't really matter with frame geometry that rides this nice... but just good to know

:)

Latest posts

Back