Could this be the earliest Team Marin ever??

Ok so were saying its an 88 Pine Mountain, with Team Marin decals.

So would this of been done at the factory or dealer?

Also where would the frame been made? Taiwan?

If restoring, would you restore as is, or back to Pine Mountain? Dont know a lot about early Marins.

At the end of the day, it’s your choice: these were prolly made in Taiwan (there is a thread on here about frame numbers and the first letter denoting the factory: Ms are Taiwan, early ones sometimes have A’s - I don’t know where that corresponds to.)

They’re built out of out of quality tubing, but aren’t Uber rare or sought after. I had one and sacreligiously coated it green with leaf stencils; other people have done some lovely original colour scheme builds, and you can get the original decals. I’d say go original 1988 or how you want it depending on how you’ll use it. It’s a nice score.

I would clean, lube, and polish what you have got, replace worn consumables etc and probably out the correct pine mountain decals.
But it is yours so do whatever floats your boat.

I would clean, lube, and polish what you have got, replace worn consumables etc and probably out the correct pine mountain decals.
But it is yours so do whatever floats your boat.
Indeed, exactly my train of thought, I hate the fact its a fake Team Marin, however not sure what to do with it atm, as have far too many projects on the go, you know the usual story 😀

Only just seen this. Im pretty sure, as others have said an 88 pine mountain with the wrong decals on. The decals are off a 91ish model. The originals would have most likely been burgundy, smaller and further up the down tube.

The 88 team actually rode pine mountains in that exact colour btw.

The frame decal is correct in that the lugged ones were indeed tange prestige tubing.

"Team" bikes went on sale in 89, with a prestige frame and the new xtii groupset. However they were not lugged. The pine was demoted to tange double butted that year and onwards, they also lost their lugs. The only exception was a few test frames for browning, which were built with prestige, but those are easilly identified as they have smaller headtube to cope with the fork.

Its also got a later stem 90? (sloping top, not flat and sleeved), saddle 92, seatpost, and cantilevers 89, dx shifters 91? etc. I think somebody rebuilt that with bits from a couple of years later to update it or get it back on the road with various parts.

As for what to do. Decals from dnfive or gil will set you back a few quid.....or just replace the team one with a correct pine mountain one! Or ignore it and ride it.

I might think of getting a m730 groupset for it and rebuild it.....

The frame is a great bit of kit....I've always wanted one, but they never come up in my size...🤣. Enjoy!

Here we go....theres an article here from mbuk with the Carlsburg / marin team on those bikes...

Latest posts

Back