Frame failure experiences

Ti is awful with stress risers, in part because of the flexibility designed in to the frame.
Failures like this are caused by people who don't actually know (or understand) what they are doing designing frames.
The brand is desperate to hit a new market.
I'd go with it being because a company is so used to designed in aluminium or steel that they apply the same approach to other materials.

Absolutely - the frame designer doesn't understand the (new) material, so in this case they don't know what they are doing

Litespeed seem to have had their durability problems after carbon frames came in - they pushed lightness and then under-built their Ti frames.
Quite probably it also came with a shift in ownership away from the Lynskeys and a falling in build standards too.

Last edited:
I’d agree that it’s surprising how resilient steel frames are: they go eventually, but tend to fail slowly rather than catastrophically, and are hugely repairable. (The only one I broke was a Raleigh Tomahawk in about 1979 - 😆 my mates Dad welded it back together.)

🤔 I wonder how many failures could be due to turbo trainers?

Apart from the rigid fixings, I know myself that my own sweat is more like Alien's blood....

I've seen a fair few bars go because if this, and a couple of frames get close to it. Wipe down afterwards, but the bars is still a concern (I don't wear gloves on the trainer).

In bikeworkshop's commercial experience, the common causes of a broken frame are disappointingly mundane:

Wrong size seatpost,
Too little post insertion
Riding a loose headset for years
Loose bb cups
Wrong axle length in rear dropouts
Chain gouge on the stay
Basket rubbing on the headtube
Broken bearings caught between the steerer and headtube
Attempted theft
Friday-night bikehater Vandalism
Crashing
Loose Headset for years - this is what got the Raleigh. Also the hellish bashing up curbs and relentless jumps and dodgy landings on the local park run. I was only 10 or so and had no idea what the issue was until I grew up and had to learn some basic bike maintenance.

🤔 I wonder how many failures could be due to turbo trainers?

Apart from the rigid fixings, I know myself that my own sweat is more like Alien's blood....

the smell from under the bar tape when I replaced it on my turbo bike this weekend made my eyes water. I have a sweat protector on the bike now after COVID period experiences of salt damage on the Turbo - doesn’t take much to make a problem. Had to replace spokes and a headset…wash the bike regularly now. I also wash regularly…

the smell from under the bar tape when I replaced it on my turbo bike this weekend made my eyes water. I have a sweat protectors on the bike now after COVID period experiences of salt damage on the Turbo - doesn’t take much to make a problem. Had to replace spokes and a headset…wash the bike regularly now. I also wash regularly…
I took a different approach and use a Specilized Allez that I couldn't give a flying **** about.

Latest posts

Back