Code of the road.

How about telling a fellow cyclist if they are clearly doing something wrong like using the big ring-big sprocket combination? The other day I was behind someone in full club gear on an expensive carbon job doing this for about half a mile, at least. At first I thought the very obvious chain noise was just a front derailleur that needed adjusting, until I got closer and saw the state of the rear derailleur being yanked forward. How do people not notice this sort of thing? I think I would normally mention it to someone, but as they were in a club I thought pointing out their horrible gear combination would not go down well, so I didn't. I had to pull over and let them go ahead a bit so I didn't have to hear the noise any more.

I have sometimes had to say something to people, though. The last time was when I was behind someone and busy pondering how someone could ride a bike with the saddle so low their knees were practically up to their ears, when I realised they also had their helmet on back to front – which I did mention 😆.

Sometimes friendly advice doesn’t go down too well, I would have done the same as you. As for the helmet, you done good, at least they know now 😜

How about telling a fellow cyclist if they are clearly doing something wrong like using the big ring-big sprocket combination? The other day I was behind someone in full club gear on an expensive carbon job doing this for about half a mile, at least. At first I thought the very obvious chain noise was just a front derailleur that needed adjusting, until I got closer and saw the state of the rear derailleur being yanked forward. How do people not notice this sort of thing? I think I would normally mention it to someone, but as they were in a club I thought pointing out their horrible gear combination would not go down well, so I didn't. I had to pull over and let them go ahead a bit so I didn't have to hear the noise any more.

I have sometimes had to say something to people, though. The last time was when I was behind someone and busy pondering how someone could ride a bike with the saddle so low their knees were practically up to their ears, when I realised they also had their helmet on back to front – which I did mention 😆.
Thing is folk think that if they've bought a 22 speed bike, all 22 gears are made to be used and modern technology makes that possible. Combine this with the notion that in these times everything is "use it and bin it". The only reason we don't go big/big is to make it last. Same with mudguards and winter bikes. Modern times don't care for longevity. You've bought it, you use it, you thrash it

Fair enough, I guess we are all out there for different reasons and with different mindsets. I bet you’re not that slow though. What pained me today was the hills, I had to get off and walk halfway up two of them. That will hopefully improve in time though. It was still great to be out on the road again though 👍🏼

Back