Code of the road.

I’ve recently moved and my commute takes me down a few miles of what seems to be known locally as the ‘old ten’. Far more cyclists on this route than my old commute and a high percentage appear to be out training or on group rides. So that’s a lot more waves and acknowledgments to do and receive than I’m used to.

(Also, I’ve got to say quite a few seriously fast riders. I’m hoping after a few weeks of doing 14 miles each way I’ll be fit enough to up my gearing a bit ;) )

Compact chainsets were never really used by the pros. Maybe as a one off for Angliru, but not in the UK. 53/39' was pretty standard
Yes, I did mean for hilly stages, specifically. Though I guess that stage of the Tour of Britain probably wouldn’t really qualify as an actual ‘mountain’ stage, exactly 😉. I did think they started using compacts more, but you’re right it was generally only for stages with seriously steep climbs.

[edit] Doing the maths, 40/36 is actually lower gearing than 34/28, though it’s safe to say they wouldn’t actually be using that lowest gear I suppose, hence using it on the 54 ring instead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back