Checking RETRO Carbon wheels for safety ???

adi-66

Dirt Disciple
Hey peeps.

How do I check my Spinergy Rev X Roks wheels for safety ? I regularly inspect them for damage as per Spinergys original instructions, but I was wondering if there was any more "in depth" ways that you guys know about ?

F.Y.I

I LOVE my Spinergys, and at the moment I ride them EVERYDAY, the bearings are smooth, rims great (the wheels where near enough NOS when purchased)

PLEASE LETS NOT HAVE THIS THREAD TURN INTO A "THERE JUNK- THROW THEM AWAY" SLAG OFF THREAD.

Cheers,

Adi

Try very bright light in the inside of the spokes to check for cracking.

Check the rivets of the spokes for cracking.

Not alot more ways I know of tbh.

Cheers Mike'

sounds like a decent enough idea :) I'l give it a go.

Rivets are all PERFECT, as is the small amount of resin that can be seen where the spokes (l&r sides of wheel) come together by the rims where the rivets are.
Cheers,

I did think of X-Raying them, but the only Xray machine I have access to is small (Its in our post room at work.... its big enough to get a set of forks in, but not a wheel - unless I fold it in half LOL)

Leading edges are = all good :)
Lamination = all good :)
Rivets = all good :)
Resin = Smooth, all good :)

I'm gonna decalre them safe :)

... Does Carbon have a infinate life or does it (or the resin) start to break down / degrade over time ?

Adi

If you never use them or expose them to sunlight then they would last a couple of hundred years! (but thats no fun!)

UV light will degrade them and dirt/debris will damage them (minutely),
if they are not subjected to major impacts they should last a fair while*

If your checking them and taking care of them they should be good.

* one persons definition of good care/major impacts varies from another!

taffy":m0leevmj said:
If you never use them or expose them to sunlight then they would last a couple of hundred years! (but thats no fun!)

UV light will degrade them and dirt/debris will damage them (minutely),
if they are not subjected to major impacts they should last a fair while*

If your checking them and taking care of them they should be good.

* one persons definition of good care/major impacts varies from another!

Cheers Taffy.

Not exposing them to sunlight.... BORING no ones gonna get to see the lil beautys spinning + I Love to look at my shadow as I ride (Sad I know! )

Yeah they are checked DAILY, kept clean, and only ridden on the road as i couldn't bare the thought of a branch going into them on my local trail :-(

Like you say, the definition of good care / major impacts is very subjective, but I really do treat these with Kid gloves... :)

Sounds like you're treating them as well as you can and taking full care. I'd not worry too much, esp if they aren't seeing heavy off road use. There's a post somewhere by user ameybrook who rode these heavily, apparetnly the weak spot tends to be the hubs. Although equally you do see horror stories of entire wheel failure.

John":1t0p0g6b said:
Sounds like you're treating them as well as you can and taking full care. I'd not worry too much, esp if they aren't seeing heavy off road use. There's a post somewhere by user ameybrook who rode these heavily, apparetnly the weak spot tends to be the hubs. Although equally you do see horror stories of entire wheel failure.

Yeah I've heard all of the horror "STORIES" but I've never actually been able to substanciate any of them.... apart from few images on google, and a couple of sketchy paragraphs of text !

... as with everything, everyone has a horror story that happened to a mate of a mate from the pub, and no one bigs things up for being good, they just get used, its only when things go wrong that its highlighted !

Back