chain question

outlander

Old School Hero
I'm giving my bike an overhaul. The bike has a 7 speed hyperglide cassette 13t-30t. The crank is a shimano biopace 48/38/28. The markings on the chain say UG narrow deore. I dont think they make these chains anymore? Which chain would be a suitable replacement.

Thanks for the reply guys. Been looking at some chains a sram PC850 and a shimano hg70. Silly question? :oops: but what's the difference between the model numbers, sram pc830,850,890 etc as with the shimano hg range.

outlander":3p2uhzxg said:
Silly question? :oops: but what's the difference between the model numbers, sram pc830,850,890 etc as with the shimano hg range.

Generaly price and shinyness.

The cheapest SRAM chain does not have the surface hardening, all the others do. Buy one up from the bottom and you have the best longevity for least cost...

...that came from the SRAM product manager!

....i agree,dont go for bottom of range......so long as the chain is cleaned and maintained properly you wont notice any difference between the others......in my opinion a cheaper one is easier to replace regularly rather than riding an expensive one into the ground and taking your block and rings with it.....

hamster":1sxioqbo said:
The cheapest SRAM chain does not have the surface hardening, all the others do. Buy one up from the bottom and you have the best longevity for least cost...

...that came from the SRAM product manager!

thats good to know!!....i am a firm advocate of sram chains and they have adorned all my bikes for years,are any of them less susceptable to rusting now that we are back into the season of road gritting and permanently wet cow poo on the roads???

Ok, starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for the help guys. I'll opt for the sram PC870 off to my local bike shop :)

Back