What bike is this - lugged aluminium frame ?

Long Story short: I could not help myself but pick it up… let’s see how the frame looks after it’s polished. And if it is meh it still comes with some nice xt parts :), a girvin stem and some crazy wheels (pulsar anyone?)
But I still have no idea what this actually is. Here in Germany we had a brand named Hercules- they sold them, but not in a raw aluminum design afaik.

Cheers
IMG_4145.jpeg

hi, I think it was mentioned somewhere here already, this should be a Titanal Frame.
The tubes itself came from a aluminum company from Austria
Titanal Ad aus Bike 4 1992.jpg

There had been 3 different variants of the hardtail frame, or two make makeovers, but those identical frames had been sold by a number of brands, Hercules, Hagan, Sundance, Biria, Cycletech, etc. (Gally and Wheeler had Titanal Full-suspension frames)

Hagan and Sundance sold for instance completely raw ones. Hercules had indeed sold painted ones (red was the most popular), Biria and Cycletech had colored lugs.

I had personally a Sundance a while ago with same (MK1) frame
20210418_170337.jpg
Sundance Titanal Ad aus Bike 1993.jpg

Sure, there had been quite massive issues initially and a number of broken frames, or let's be more precise bursting tubes, and some companies like Gally turning bankrupt.
That's the reason why Titanal wasn't used for longer time.
Personally I do think frames which last now for 20 years will very likely last even longer.

Last edited:
Personally I do think frames which last now for 20 years will very likely last even longer.
There are several paths to frame failure, some of which reduce over time but some increase.

The way in which new frames brake are in turn different to old frames, and the different frame materials also age differently.

frame materials (most aluminium alloys) prone to fatigue will always be heading towards failure if they are used. Treated gently (well designed and with a suitable alloy) they will last decades.

Materials prone to corrosion (like steel) will be heading towards failure used or not - although if exposure to moisture and corrosives is avoided, it might take centuries.

Carbon and Ti is a more complex picture.

There are several paths to frame failure, some of which reduce over time but some increase.

The way in which new frames brake are in turn different to old frames, and the different frame materials also age differently.

frame materials (most aluminium alloys) prone to fatigue will always be heading towards failure if they are used. Treated gently (well designed and with a suitable alloy) they will last decades.

Materials prone to corrosion (like steel) will be heading towards failure used or not - although if exposure to moisture and corrosives is avoided, it might take centuries.

Carbon and Ti is a more complex picture.
yeah, good comment, you're right, if you want to use an old Titanal frame, it's wise to not buy a bike which was stored for longer outside in rain, or for the last decade in a damp basement. Corrosion can kill it also from the inside out, also after being 20years failure free.

It's an interesting subject - I'm going to start a thread on it and see if it picks up...

👍

Guys, Thanks for all this input.
What I can say is that on initial inspection there are no obvious issues with the tubes or lugs. The bike seems to habe silent its previous years in a garage and was used for riding to the pub.
I just found it interesting with its raw look and the Neon yellow stem.

Wheels are pulstar - which don’t have the best reputation for staying true

I will keep you posted on my progress

Back