Centrepull or Caliper ?

1988_Ben

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Can't make my mind up on which road brakes to purchase for a 30 year old racing frame.

It's got mudguard eyelets and is designed for the 'old' style nuts at the end of the brake centre bolt (i.e. not 5mm allen key recessed). Anyhow, modern 49m drop calipers would be a tad too short, so I've got to go back a generation for brakes.

I'd prefer some nice calipers to keep with the sporty look of the bike (it's a racer and not a tourer) however, there is a nice brazed-on cable guide 'bridge' at the rear for a centrepull brake. So it might look a bit odd if I don't use it, if you see what I mean.

Any recommendations on what to to ?

You can get " long drop " ( 57mm ) calipers and after a bit of drilling most frames take recessed bolts. Done it a couple of times.

If the brake drop is only very slightly short, you can get away with filing the calipers to squeeze an extra couple of mm - I've just done this to fit a 49mm brake onto a frame of similar age.

Midlife":1snso6g1 said:
Any pics of the frame? might help decide :)

Shaun

Got some photos now:

I think the last is most useful. It shows a standard 7700 rear caliper, which I assume is a 49cm drop ?

I'm therefore hoping that there is a 'standard' of long drop that my frame is designed for, i.e. the 59cm drop calipers I've seen advertised.

But I still have the problem then of drilling the frame for captive nuts and I'd like to use the nicely brazed on rear cable bridge, so I guess it's centre-pulls I should get ?

Attachments

• 2012-04-12 08.45.02.jpg
    2012-04-12 08.45.02.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 709
  • 2012-04-12 08.45.23.jpg
    2012-04-12 08.45.23.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 709
  • 2012-04-12 08.45.37.jpg
    2012-04-12 08.45.37.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 709
  • 2012-04-12 08.45.50.jpg
    2012-04-12 08.45.50.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 709
With those rack mounts, mudguard eyes, braze-ons for 'bar end gear levers, braze-on cable stop for rear centrepull brake, dynamo cable guides and the long drop it is definitely a touring frame rather than a racing one.

You are well short with the brakes in the picture so even long drop brakes like Shimano R650 might be pushing it. I'd fit centrepulls as they seem to be what the frame was designed for.

It's a gorgeous colour and looks like a quality frame - more pictures please.

Mark.

Agree with DaccordiMark - thats a touring frame, nice colour too. Some nice centre pulls, like aMafac racer would look lovely

That's a pretty long drop you have there. I think that frame was designed for use with 27 x 1 1/4" wheels + mudguard clearance, and that you have 700c wheels in there. Using 27" rims would reduce the drop by a few mm. Otherwise, you are going to need very long reach calipers. Problem is, there aren't very many nice 27" wheels/tyres around any more (edit: and your wheels look rather nice...).
Nick

Back