Canti brakes - fork mounted rocker or steerer mounted hanger?

Rocker or hanger?

• Rocker

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Hanger

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
So, slow progress as usual.... I have the fork mounted hanger installed and everything adjusted. Pads need replacing for some better ones but that doesn't affect this. There is some movement in the hanger when applying the brakes, at least on the stand. I'm more concerned about the fact that the hanger I have moves the cable attachement point further out from the frame, so from there down to the straddle and cantis the cable is at a noticeable angle. The adjuster in the hanger is actually pulled over and moves when braking, so again losing some braking there. I will try and find a better fitting bolt or adjuster for the hanger.

What's everyone's opinion - OK like this or not good?

first pic shows the cable with no braking. second pic is with the brakes applied. third pic shows the steerer mounted hanger, cable line from there would be straight all the way. The tight bend needed to get the outer to the steerer hanger creates quite a bit of friction in the cable though

I really want to get the cantis working, but do have a V brake I can try...

Attachments

• 2022-03-27 12.25.32.jpg
    2022-03-27 12.25.32.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 2022-03-27 12.25.39.jpg
    2022-03-27 12.25.39.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 2022-03-27 12.26.05.jpg
    2022-03-27 12.26.05.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 61
Not Good ! The third pic is the only way to go and use a V brake noodle to improve the cable run at the hanger

Or revert to a non aero set up ?

Agree number three with the noodle, or there are bits that will achieve a tighter corner but with more cable wear.

Also, the one bike I have with a fork mount, the mount has to sit flush against the fork to prevent it from accidentally rotating when the brake is applied. Can this one stop rotation if it is spaced out like that? Not saying it can't, I just wonder how...

Last edited:
Not sure what cantis you're using, but from the side the cable clamp appears to be quite offset, at least compared to Shimano cantis. There is a fair bit of rake in those arms. I'd expect the clamp to be positioned approx midway between the fork leg and your booster, yours are noticeably closer to the fork leg.

I think the steerer mounted hanger is better personally - gives you more room for adjusting your hanger height.

If you are running center pulls on a road bike the steer mount is mandatory

These are suntour XC pro cantis. The arms are angled backwards towards the fork, so not exactly perpendicular to the bosses. I think the difficulty I was having with the steerer hanger is that I am using yokozuna compressionless outer cable which is brilliant stuff but less flexible than standard outer. I have an angled ferrule / adaptor for the hanger, but it is quite a tight angle and creates a lot of friction, so the cable outer must run directly into the hanger, which is harder with the less flexible cable.... will mess around later and see what I can sort out

Did you find a good solution? I fear I'm about to have similar problems using a fork mounted hanger as I need to space it away from the fork so that it clears the lower headset cup

Yes I think so... I used standard cable outer which is more flexible than the compressionless type I was using before. I've also fitted an inline tension adjuster. Outer cable length was quite critical to get the smoothest transition possible in the hanger - a little too short or too long and the outer would enter at an angle and the inner would have a lot of drag at that point. Cable line is better, they feel smooth on the stand but I've not properly tested them yet. Will sort some photos at some point, maybe this weekend if I can get out for a ride!

Pictures would be great if you get the chance. Not only am I having similar brake problems, it looks like I have a very similar frame, Dave Yates fillet brazed expedition type frame for 26" wheels.

Back