Canti brakes - fork mounted rocker or steerer mounted hanger?

Rocker or hanger?

• Rocker

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Hanger

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
OK, will get some sorted. First time round I used V brakes, so didn't have cable run problems. I am keeping that option as a backup plan for now...

any pics of yours?

It's sitting forlornly in the spare bedroom waiting for me to make a decision with brakes and then start putting it together. I've just given up trying to use the fork hanger I have and have ordered a tektro version (both a fork and a head one). I'm hoping if I wait a little longer you will have worked out the perfect solution. Oddly, the seatpost size sems to be 26.8. Frame number is DY0906, no idea if that might mean september 2006 or not. Dave frame.jpg

Nice! looks more or less exactly like mine, but a bit larger. The immediate problem I can see with your hanger is that you have very few spacers on the steerer... so the stem will be very close to the hanger. There are hangers with more drop to them which should help. If you're not dead set on cantis and don't have the parts yet, look at Vs as that might be a better option? I already had the cantis and levers for mine but if I was starting from scratch now I'd almost certainly use either the 287V levers or the tektro V brake drop bar levers along with some decent but basic shimano or avid Vs
Seatpost on mine is 27.2mm. Not sure on frame number but will look. Was ordered late 2002 or early 2003

There is enough steerer to fit the headset hanger as well as the 5mm spacer that is fitted (the top cap is pretty much sitting on the fork steerer as is), but as you say, it will be tight without a long drop on the hanger.

I have ordered one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125133164149 and one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/134039472901

I've already bought shimano cx50 canti brakes to try but if I can't get either of the hangers to work nicely I will switch to V brakes. The previous owner was running cantis using a headset hanger so I'm hopeful. My preference is to try and get a fork mounted one working well for a less cramped cable run. Regarding the seatpost size, the previous owner thought it was 27.2 but I couldn't get a 27.2 or a 27.0 to fit, the 26.8 goes in ok.

Previous owner had this set up

Yates1.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back