Can't sleep... (Vitus)

rienster

Retro Guru
Bought this frame on the bay tonight:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/VITUS-992-VINTAG ... 45fda91b2e

Has been one of my dream bikes for years and now I have one in my size. I'm stoked. But now I'm lying awake thinking how to build it up. Have ridden Campagnolo for years and am thinking of trying something else. Considering Sachs, Mavic (so expensive), Stronglight, Miche, but am open for suggestions.
What do you think?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks, like I said. This has been a dream bike of mine for a long time.

Got to sleep finally at 2 o'clock. Way too late with my daughter getting up at 6.30 this morning.... Good thing the coffee machine isn't far away.

Rienster,

I have one exactly like yours - same size, same freaky (and AWESOME) colour, and looks like I paid pretty much the exact same price as you! Your top tube decals are in better shape than mine, though :LOL: *jealous*

I am also having the same problem of what to build it up with... it's been sitting in the corner for about two months, looking sad. I have a very odd/strange mavic mektronic groupset that needs a home so I'm thinking about trying that...

Let's keep each other posted on our builds - I'll post some pics of mine soon, too...
;)

Hi Hova, Fantastic colour isn't it? I considered Mektronic, but that stuff is so hard to come by these days. And certainly pricey for a full groupset. But way ahead of its time. I'm leaning towards Sachs New Success for the moment, but could change my mind in 5 minutes.... :D
Look forward to seeing some pics of your 992.

Personally I find Campagnolo a bit romantic for the clean Vitus. Sachs is quite heavy kit for this light frame. Mavic would be very nice. Japanese like DA7400 or Superbe would also go well imo.

wow that is an awsome frameset and bargain too :shock:

that frame was always on my wanted list - but could not found one till today, so I went for a NOS 979 frameset, which is waiting to be build.

I could offer you a copy of a pic. from a 992 (guess later one) with some nice kit on it, maybe that would help you in finding the right kit for that frame. Just tell me and I would make a scan from that pic. for you.

rienster":2nd1e070 said:
Hi Hova, Fantastic colour isn't it? I considered Mektronic, but that stuff is so hard to come by these days. And certainly pricey for a full groupset. But way ahead of its time. I'm leaning towards Sachs New Success for the moment, but could change my mind in 5 minutes.... :D
Look forward to seeing some pics of your 992.

Yes... you're right, if I were to have to pay full price for a groupset, I most definitely wouldn't... because they probably wouldn't work correctly, anyways :D

New Success seems like a GREAT idea!!

I'll take some pics tonight...

Thanks again for your responses. Have to agree that campagnolo is a bit romantic for the industrial looking vitus. DA 7400 would suit I guess, but I never liked the group (except for the cranks). Really like mavic, but the price is putting me off. Suntour could be a good thing.
Magas: Scans are always welcome, but don't go to too much trouble. I've found a few pics online. Really liked these 2, especially the one in front:

Attachments

• 992.jpg
    992.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,199
Back