Can we just agree on what NOS means please!

Predictive text modish is nosish
In that case, the answer to the question of whether 'used-ish' is the same as 'NOS-ish' is 'No'. The suffix '-ish' is used as a qualifier to indicate that a characteristic is possessed to less than the full extent or that it might be a matter of opinion or that it's a marginal case... Here, the seller means 'similar-to-NOS' or 'almost-but-not-quite-NOS'. That does not mean that 'used-ish' and 'NOS-ish' should be used interchangeably any more than if I describe something as 'blue-ish' in colour that 'red-ish' would be equally accurate, or that 'cheap-ish' could be equally well described as 'expensive-ish.'

In that case, the answer to the question of whether 'used-ish' is the same as 'NOS-ish' is 'No'. The suffix '-ish' is used as a qualifier to indicate that a characteristic is possessed to less than the full extent or that it might be a matter of opinion or that it's a marginal case... Here, the seller means 'similar-to-NOS' or 'almost-but-not-quite-NOS'. That does not mean that 'used-ish' and 'NOS-ish' should be used interchangeably any more than if I describe something as 'blue-ish' in colour that 'red-ish' would be equally accurate, or that 'cheap-ish' could be equally well described as 'expensive-ish.'

Utter pish.

Would not 'almost-but-not-quite-NOS' be the same as used? :)

Utter pish.
That's just taking the pish! :D

Would not 'almost-but-not-quite-NOS' be the same as used? :)
You could argue that anything 'almost-but-not-quite-NOS' is 'used' but you'd have a tough time arguing that everything 'used' is 'almost-but-not-quite-NOS' because 'used' covers a wide spectrum, from the item in question to utterly knackered. 'Used' and 'almost-but-not-quite-NOS' are not identical, then, but you could say that the latter is a subset of the former. In this case, 'NOS-ish' accurately describes how little used the item is. If it was simply described as 'used' that would be less precise because it's been fitted to a show bike but not used on a bike that's been ridden, i.e., the usual sense of 'used' in this context. The seller explains the condition in the description; 'NOS-ish' is just used to be concise in the header. It seems fair enough to me.

Latest posts

Back