Can I fit V-brakes to my 1993 Saracen?

I managed to fit V brakes to mine by moving the noodle that is attached to the frame.

You need to get something like a ratchet bit holding screw driver without the bit in it to fit over the end of the noodle. Carefully bend the noodle so that it curls around the seat tube. This lines the noodle up with the position of the cable outer that goes to the noodle on the V brake. See picture. I'll take a close-up pic tonight

3765414450_a6d0bb96e7_b.jpg

It works ok

Hope this helps

I'd just like to return to the difficulty I have when removing the wheels.

It's occurred to me that when I unhook the cantilever straddle wire, only one of the cantilevers gets out of the way of the wheel...

3765428846_ae0b5f0d43.jpg

Wouldn't it be easier for me if I got rid of this Shimano arrangement and just replaced it with a simple yoke hanger like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cantilever-brake- ... 0327951820

(BTW, is eBay the only place where I can buy these yoke hangers?)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Mattbike":2z1er4xq said:
I managed to fit V brakes to mine by moving the noodle that is attached to the frame....
Matt, that's fantastic. I'm looking forward to your close-up picture -- is that a short length of black cable hose that I can see connecting the steel noodle on the frame to the noodle on the V-brake?

Yes it's a short length of outer. Took a bit of trial and error to get it to the correct length. About an inch and a 1/4.

Mattbike":g7yzb3b9 said:
I managed to fit V brakes to mine by moving the noodle that is attached to the frame.

You need to get something like a ratchet bit holding screw driver without the bit in it to fit over the end of the noodle. Carefully bend the noodle so that it curls around the seat tube. This lines the noodle up with the position of the cable outer that goes to the noodle on the V brake. See picture. I'll take a close-up pic tonight

you can get noodles that are longer with 135 degree bend, instead of 90. I was using one on the back to pull in the cable closer to the bike until i switched to using the travel agent.

21w%2B5IaTrML._SL500_AA180_.jpg

JohnH":g7yzb3b9 said:
I'd just like to return to the difficulty I have when removing the wheels.

It's occurred to me that when I unhook the cantilever straddle wire, only one of the cantilevers gets out of the way of the wheel...

v-brake release allows for both arms to be pushed out of the way. Here are shots of my setup:

Attachments

• IMG_0765.JPG
    IMG_0765.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,320
  • IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,320
Here are some close ups as promissed of my bankrupt Saracen frame.

Before and after

3766096011_2fabc13542_m.jpg
3766101359_3361704348_m.jpg

End result
3766106739_457eccbc13.jpg

Some heat shrink (available from B&Q) added to keep the mud out. Be carefull of the paint. My thin layer of rattle can paint wasn't able to cope. Next job strip down and powder coat.

3767031032_b52866181b.jpg

Matt, thanks for taking the time to upload these. That heat shrink is an excellent idea. Pity that your paint couldn't hold on thru the noodle-bending process... :( ;)

Back