Caliper brake upgrade, 84 Raleigh Record Ace

Dora

Dirt Disciple
I'm considering upgrading my Weimanns so I can stop the bike in the wet and wanted to hear peoples suggestions. I'm hoping to go to 700c wheels and although the drop on the front fork is normal, the drop from the rear brake bridge is huge. Can't understand why it was built this way. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Picture 544 25%.jpg
    Picture 544 25%.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,197
I fine the Weimanns are OK, although depending on whether the rims are alloy or steel affects my choice of brake block.

Thanks, I would like to try better blocks first. What do you recommend for aluminium alloy rims?

Dora":2r8t2b5f said:
Thanks, I would like to try better blocks first. What do you recommend for aluminium alloy rims?

I have some old red Wienmann/Fibrax one, which if the brake is set up correctly and the wheels are true work perfectly fine. A more modern set up would probably give better braking I suppose. Most of my machines have either sidepull or centrepull Weimann/GB brakes.

The 84 Record Ace was built with 27 x 1.25 wheels and tyres, and fitted with Gold Esge mudguards, the Weinmann 605 brakes are original, if you plan fitting 700c with narrow tyres and no mudguards there will be some big odd looking gaps, modern dual pivot brakes are great, however be careful to take advice which will have enough drop if you do change wheels, dont use the leather Raleigh Raincheck blocks on alloy rims, try some new soft compound rubber blocks, the originals will have dried out now, hardening the compound and losing grip on the rim.

I have an original 83 model, in very good original condition, but love the Record Ace so much, I have a Gran Sport frame now being modified and painted as a Record Ace as these frames were built with close 700c clearances to build for regular use, while my original is preserved as it is.

Wheels in the picture are 700c with 23mm tyres. Doesn't look too bad as it is but I am going to fit skinny SKS Chromoplastics in any case. In the longer term I'm going to rebuild the original wheels with new stainless spokes and new tyres. Would be nice to get some 27 x 1 tyres but it seems like nobody sells them any more so might go for 27 x 1 1/8 Contis.

27x1 1/8 would look better than 700c as so close to the original it would take close scrutiny to notice, I believe gold chomoplastic mudguards are no longer available, but worth a search if you want to maintain an original look, although I am sure SKS will look ok and period if your not too bothered about originality

Back