Cable Housing

Neither brake nor gear outers can compress (the coils in brake outers are always in contact), however coiled outers can deform slightly. Gear outers were also coiled until the advent of indexed shifting, when the sudden changes in cable tension were being partially absorbed by outer deformation and preventing crisp shifts.

(I think :? )

Re:

Koupe":3qdtci8f said:
Neither brake nor gear outers can compress (the coils in brake outers are always in contact), however coiled outers can deform slightly. Gear outers were also coiled until the advent of indexed shifting, when the sudden changes in cable tension were being partially absorbed by outer deformation and preventing crisp shifts.

Sounds right to me, not that that proves owt...

Re: Re:

elPedro666":2y7ubs7e said:
Koupe":2y7ubs7e said:

Sounds right to me, not that that proves owt...

See below...

hamster":2y7ubs7e said:
Gear housing had the wires running lengthwise to stop compression. However it is not built for big cable tensions (like brakes) and it bursts. So suddenly your brakes stop working. Enough said.

Back