Buying a second hand '97 Specialized Hardrock - need advice.

So how will I be able to tell? It's defently a Specialized. But not sure exactly what model or whatever you're on about. I'm a bit of a book noob. But I've always like mini-projects. Me and a friend of mine made an amazing off-road buggie. But that's always it his house as he has the workshop and the biggest shed. So I'd like to do my own mini-project.

So if I find a picture of it... and then upload it, then one of you guys tell me if it's the good Hardrock or not?

Sorry if i'm being arrogant.

Peck.

Edit: Also, that guys bike was the inspiration for this project :D That and one other nice Hardrock. Although I may keep the original paint if it's not too badly beat up. Although, I did like the white finish - except I'd like to keep it original as possible.

peck":288jepwp said:
I may keep the original paint if it's not too badly beat up. Although, I did like the white finish - except I'd like to keep it original as possible.
A Hardrock is a decent basic bike, and I think you would find it nicer to ride than your Apollo. But its basic merit is that it will cost you a tenner, so once you start talking about repainting it you're turning it into an expensive proposition. I wouldn't recommend repainting a bottom of the range model.

If you're going to restore a bike, you're better off with the next level up from the bottom of the range - Specialized Rockhopper, Marin Bear Valley, Kona Lava Dome etc. The big difference is that they have better quality frames that are more enjoyable to ride, so they're more worthy of all the work and money you might have to put into the project.

If you stick with your tenner's worth, I would advise keeping investment to a minimum.

Well, to be honest, I was always going to change a few things on the bike. Like I prefer single speed LOADS more than gears - just feel more rigid and reliable.

Like I said, we'll have to wait and see with the pictures I guess.

Back