Broadband provider recommendations - BT Infinity?

I can strongly recommend Gigaclear, fibre right to the modem :D
3610091035.png

My parents have Infiniity and whilst it's fast, it's not very stable
They have an early smart TV and it spends a lot of time buffering BBC iPlayer even though they're getting about 16mbps

mtbnut":38um2sd4 said:
3610091035.png

They have an early smart TV and it spends a lot of time buffering BBC iPlayer even though they're getting about 16mbps
Holy crapcakes, I've not seen speeds like that outside of commercial ones - especially the parity between d/l and u/l.

mtbnut":16l5dzdf said:
3610091035.png

That's fast, doubt that's even a modem probably an Ethernet repeater as that's basically gigabit Ethernet speed.
I will keep an eye on their progress in my area.

Carl

Gigaclear are quite active around Oxford at the minute, a lot of villages west of Oxford are being hooked up.
It took a good few months from intro to connection, but was worth the wait.

BT haven't fibred out here yet, we were getting less than 1mbps on a good day, so ripped their arm off when they approached us.
The internet costs us £37 a month, no data limits, then another £6 or £7 on top for VOIP calls - no BT line so we lose comms in a powercut but apparently a UPS backup will keep the router etc going as their cabinet has a UPS built-in.

Re:

That is an impressive speed :shock: , I have just ditched BT after15 years & 4 years of being promised infinity whilst suffering with less than 1mbps download speeds and unable to watch video streams , I had Virgin media install 100mb broadband circuit into the house last week. I was a little sceptical on VM as I hear a lot of bad about their customer service, TBH, BT customer service sucks, so does EE so what the heck !

Anyway getting 105mbps down and 6 up, its such a transformation, I have also ported my BT landline over to a voip service for 4.99 a month with 1000 min of calls, bye bye BT :LOL:

The majority of this thread could we written in Greek and I would understand more! If I use the Speedtest things above on my home pc could some one tell me what the results mean please?

Richard

Mb/s Down : How fast stuff gets to your computer.
Mb/s Up: How fast your computer sends stuff back out.
ping: about how much time it takes for stuff to get from your computer to a given point, in milliseconds. In this case the point is the speedtest server, but could be anywhere you want it to be when you measure it. Useful for checking consistency.

Bats":3oki6j6l said:
Mb/s Down : How fast stuff gets to your computer.
Mb/s Up: How fast your computer sends stuff back out.
ping: about how much time it takes for stuff to get from your computer to a given point, in milliseconds. In this case the point is the speedtest server, but could be anywhere you want it to be when you measure it. Useful for checking consistency.
Realistically, useful for testing latency (by that I mean beyond the brief remit of the speedtest).

As part of the speedtest, it gives you some inkling of the round-trip-time of comms to the server you're doing a speedtest on.

Re:

Just to clarify, should I do the speed test on one thing ie the laptop ?

Thanks
Richard

Re: Re:

TGR":1es5rvaf said:
Just to clarify, should I do the speed test on one thing ie the laptop ?

Thanks
Richard
Ideally, I'd do it on a machine that uses a wired connection, straight into your router - then you're taking out your WiFi environment as being the potential bottleneck. If you check the stuff you've been supplied with, you may well find a cat 5 / 5e cable in there, somewhere - that'll be a generic looking cable with square-ish type plugs (the same on both ends, more square and stubby than the type that a normal phone will use to plug into a phone socket, though) with little plastic lugs (on the top, not the side as in phone cables) that you need to depress to remove the cable from a socket.

If that's not posssible, I'd do it on the best, least busy machine you have, that's as close to your WiFi router as possible, with nothing else running at the time (ie not music playing, certainly not playing video, and no other browser tabs running).

Back