British Klunker

I agree with the above, my last bike before my self imposed non-cycling dark time was a tourer sort of thing I built....27inch wheels with fattish tyres and a block with a hideously large (for the time) first gear sprocket and iirc it did sport cowhorn bars at some time......I could go places on it then that I'd think twice about now :shock:

I've still got the frame :cool: .........anyone got a spare set of cowhorn bars :?

I had an old massively sized Raleigh Superbe frame&forks with some MX handlebars of some description, chaincase removed, i think maybe MX brake levers cant remember what calipers though, chunkyest tyres my dad could find.
Rode it everywhere.

Parents wouldnt let me do my cycling profieciency on it which I then failed anyway riding my 'droppie'

1978. Also appeared with apes & a bannana seat.
(plenty of crossbar clearance)

Attachments

• 1978.jpg
    1978.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,621
Now, when I was a lad, way back in the late 50's, I had a 'Triumph Palm Beach' which was a flat bar all-steel Raleigh clone with SA 3-speed etc. Once I had got over the newness of it all - and to my Dad's everlasting annoyance, I don't think he ever foregave me - I stripped it down, re-painted it, fixed geared it and fitted motorbike handlebars, a racing saddle (cheap Brooks cutaway style), and Avon 'Skidway' tyres (which were designed for cycle speedway with a specific front and back knobbly tread) and went 'tracking' with all my mates who had done similar things to their bikes. No wood, heathland, old quarry or colliery tip was out of bounds, we even did some rides that I would only do now on an MTB.

Ee, them were the days :D

Pre-dated any of the 'founding fathers' of MTB'ing!

Old Ned":bmid5mjn said:
Now, when I was a lad, way back in the late 50's, I had a 'Triumph Palm Beach' which was a flat bar all-steel Raleigh clone with SA 3-speed etc. Once I had got over the newness of it all - and to my Dad's everlasting annoyance, I don't think he ever foregave me - I stripped it down, re-painted it, fixed geared it and fitted motorbike handlebars, a racing saddle (cheap Brooks cutaway style), and Avon 'Skidway' tyres (which were designed for cycle speedway with a specific front and back knobbly tread) and went 'tracking' with all my mates who had done similar things to their bikes. No wood, heathland, old quarry or colliery tip was out of bounds, we even did some rides that I would only do now on an MTB.

Ee, them were the days :D

Pre-dated any of the 'founding fathers' of MTB'ing!

So mountainbiking was born amongst the outside lavs, whippets and muck stacks of Yorkshire instead of by those hippies of Marin County then? Well chuff me! Yet another reason to be proud of my Yorkshire upbringing. Yorkshire is the centre of the MTB world!

Si

'So mountainbiking was born amongst the outside lavs, whippets and muck stacks of Yorkshire instead of by those hippies of Marin County then? Well chuff me! Yet another reason to be proud of my Yorkshire upbringing. Yorkshire is the centre of the MTB world!

Si'

No, it was amongst the outside lavs, corgies and muck stacks in North Wales! I'm a Wrexham lad.

Yet another reason to be proud of my Welsh upbringing!

Sorry Si, I'm really a foreigner ;)

ive always liked klunkers too,but as i live here where the word gets slowly,i havent seen alot of those,and at first i even thought that klunker is a brandname :D

im intrested to build one,so im asking has anyone here started a thread about building your own scwinn styled klunker or similar framestyle.

i can lathe,mill,weld etc pretty easily so only need some thoughts on "what makes is a klunker" :shock: :D .

cruiser frame
few gears maybe,i think id put some 6 or 10 speed as they seemed popular back in the days ?
reinforcing
sturdy front fork with those...what u call em...reinforcing rods?
early bmx or moto-x bars
knobby tires

brakes,what sort of?

Back