BoTM January 2009 - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
ameybrook":2bulltw4 said:
missmyfat":2bulltw4 said:
I do not want to take anything away from what as i have said is the most stunning bike on this forum but mikes bike opens a can of worms in IMHO, if it were an historic race car for example in would not be allowed to race.

Totally fair opinon mate. Its understood.

If it were an Historic Race Car it would be more than welcome to race. There are now more Listers, Low Drag E Types, 250F, GT40s than were originally built competing. If your pockets are deep enough I can sell you a brand new Lola T70 which you can race at any historic event you choose.

The world has moved on- I'm not saying this is right or wrong but the machine should be taken for what it is. I would rather see a replica or recreation Maseratti 250F than a modern Ferrari F1 car any day. Same with bikes- C-26 or 575? No contest!

The YETI is fantastic, and has taken more comitment and work than most of us can manage. But I agree that i may not be truly retro in build but that does not take away from the fact it deserves to be shown. Mike well done I am not sure how the voting will go still think its a open book.

Wow, some of the modern spec'd tat that gets entered in BOTM (and even voted for! :LOL: ) and the validity of Mike's entry is questioned...

As stated before, the voting this month is gonna be very interesting ;)

Tallpaul":29g7ok0u said:
Wow, some of the modern spec'd tat that gets entered in BOTM (and even voted for! :LOL: ) and the validity of Mike's entry is questioned...

As stated before, the voting this month is gonna be very interesting ;)

I perhaps wouldn't have put it in such strong terms but i agree with your first point ;)

there's legitimacy to Mike's though...original materials designed for the bike were used and the frame builder of choice....those tubes were designed and destined to be a C-26 they are just a tad aged. The only none original/aged material is the new glue used. It's not like some one copied body panels and had them pressed out in China or molded to look right. The auto comparison doesn't fit the bill.

Dr S":f4f0tonz said:
If it were an Historic Race Car it would be more than welcome to race. There are now more Listers, Low Drag E Types, 250F, GT40s than were originally built competing. If your pockets are deep enough I can sell you a brand new Lola T70 which you can race at any historic event you choose.

The world has moved on- I'm not saying this is right or wrong but the machine should be taken for what it is. I would rather see a replica or recreation Maseratti 250F than a modern Ferrari F1 car any day. Same with bikes- C-26 or 575? No contest!

At the risk of getting side tracked here but that statement is not actually true.
Yes you can buy a "lola T70" from a certain you know who but it will cost nowhere near a REAL one. Why is that?
Further you can not enter in any series you wish at all, there are certain series (about a third of them) such as the masters that will accept "new " cars but even then if they have full grids the new cars are bumped down to reserve so the real cars can race. You will not get anywhere near a HSCC race for example without the correct FIA papers proving the originality and history of your car! Do you get that with a new one? No.
Yes there are far more of the cars you mentioned than were made (there are more than twice the number of B16's running around than chevron made for example) but there are dubious people out there who insist on passing off replicas as the real thing.
As for vintage versus modern, if i am admiring it vintage, but for using in anger modern no contest! But thats just my opinion.

I was a little surprised to hear that modern recreations were given permission to mix it with the old stuff also. I can only draw from my experiences in vintage motocross but, must say that it would be unlikely a modern recreation would be allowed to compete, especially in the older pre65 and pre74 classes.

However, CZ did produce a reproduction twinshock mx bike to compete in the twinshock class. It was allowed to compete as it certainly had no advantages over the period bikes. In fact it was an uncompetative bag of nails and would certainly of struggled to upset anyone on the race track and like the Yeti is in keeping with it's target era.

In many ways classic motorsport is the front runner to retro bikes. In a few years perhaps Yeti and other manufacturers will cash in on the retro market like CZ tried and make repro bikes for themselves.

Anyway where's the voting!

sinnett177":30ur8jy8 said:
In many ways classic motorsport is the front runner to retro bikes. In a few years perhaps Yeti and other manufacturers will cash in on the retro market like CZ tried and make repro bikes for themselves.

Like Specialized's 25th anniversary Stumpjumper? There's currently one knocked down to £475 (IIRC) in the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back