Bonding carbon to ali' !

jacks2ts

Old School Hero
Had my eldest girl out for a local winter race on sunday "she was in 9's and under finished 3 rd not bad for fist race" when i realised all the other kids were riding much better steads than her , so i was woundering i have a old but good nick set of noleen cs crosslink carbon and i was woundering if there was such a thing as 24" legs for them " as i was sent some meny years ago as a replacement for damaged one" or could i cut the 26" legs down that i have and bond the dropouts back in Safely . Don't hate me for wanting to cut them down my daughter loves them and wants them on her bike :oops: thankyou !

Can be done, but no disrespect dude, the fact you're asking suggests that probably you're not the best person to do it. (0% of the integrity will come from the preperation, both of the surface key, and correct vapour degreasing (not a bit of finish line citrus). The bond should take ok with an industrial epoxy, referably heat cured, in a jig, and also any luck, under pressure. If you have an iutosprts fabricaor in the area (not just a joy-boy hot-rod shop) they may be able to help. .
Just my 2p. Its an interesting topic, it'd begood to hear of otherpeoples success.. I've never heard of anyone sucessfully rebonding an ALAN or a VITUS yet. . .

It has been done many times. I recall some people use Alderite? I use JB weld. Mostly when the lugs debond from the carbon is when we do it.

As far as cutting the carbon, a diamond or carbide grit hacksawblade works great for me. Then file the edge square and deburr the edges and you are ready to bond in the lugs.

There are many posts regarding epoxy carbon repair jobs at http://idriders.com/proflex/smf/

Wish i had known that a year ago. I wouldn't have sold my Pace carbon forks for being too long. Would have got them cut down to 390 length. The correct length for my frames

tintin40":jfqmgsqh said:
Wish i had known that a year ago. I wouldn't have sold my Pace carbon forks for being too long. Would have got them cut down to 390 length. The correct length for my frames

Has anyone done this successfully? Was looking at my RC31s last night and wondering about the purpose of the 2 Torx screws behind the crown.

You could try giving Justbackdated (Tim) a pm. He would be the best person to talk to. He has re-bonded many a dropout in his time.
The torx screws are to help minimise any twisting forces breaking the bond of the epoxy holding the carbon to the inserts.

Thaks for that info my daughter got to read these aswell and thinks i can get it done for this sundays race "some hope " i did work in coposites for a few years and had repaird carbon stuff befor but never fork legs and ali' it was carbon only canoes and boat parts . luckly the shape of the leg " D" shape should help with the process and it will be a good investment as i've got 3 with 1 on the way on the kids front so the for will be in use for a good few years to come :LOL:

jacks2ts":6rhot1fy said:
and it will be a good investment as i've got 3 with 1 on the way on the kids front so the for will be in use for a good few years to come :LOL:

Very nice Pop you are!!!! :cool:

Back