Bikes and puddles

I should have taken a photo of the dried up old puddle hole that took me out on my last ride. Too busy picking rocks out of my elbow I suppose. Instead, some old photos of the "puddles" I've enjoyed in the past. Messed up my shoes pretty good here, as I had to hike it 3 times just to get the pics 157602-IMG-20210514-104204330.jpg 157603-IMG-20210514-104221071.jpg
This one is so bad that the pre-puddles prevented me from getting close to the main puddle. Big backtrack and hike a bike to get around that 157587-IMG-20210514-102354741.jpg

No photos. just a story or two. I live in South Florida where the weather can change quite a bit.
Story #1- I took my daily Ebike ( Converted "04 Gary Fisher) ride from the suburbs (11 miles) into downtown Ft. Lauderdale for lunch at a waterfront tavern.
I took my usual carefully planned route to avoid traffic and the road was dry all the way. While at lunch it rained and dropped 6" of rain in a couple hours (that's a lot!). I had an 11 mile ride home and many of the streets were under 6" of water in places. No problem really. But then I made a mistake. I didn't have a plan B route for this so I just went back the way I came. There is one spot that sometimes collects 6" of water. I didn't think anything of it. Now the cross street leading into it was under 6" of water, still didn't realize what that meant for the low spot. Keeping to the crown of the road where it's shallow I made my turn. The 6" on the higher road, became another 6" on the lower street, and then another 6" added on for the usual low spot. I'm looking at 18" of water, and if I turn around I will leave the crown of the road and it will be another foot deeper! So feet up and throttle through with the motor submerged, and everything else under water too. I'd just had the motor apart and applied new gaskets and sealer. When I tore it down again the next day everything was dry inside. I adjusted my route to avoid this area even when dry. So I can get home without any problems next time. At 71yo picking up the 65# Ebike and carrying it across wasn't an option, my XC bike yes.
Story #2- The next time.
The next time a friend from out of town had an appointment to see his lawyer, and needed my guidance for parking and navigation in the business district. This time it had rained 22" in 4 hours ( I believe that's a new all time record possibly including hurricanes). The whole city was under a foot of water. Traffic signals were out, rush hour traffic wad gridlocked, disabled cars everywhere. Pubs and restaurants were closed because the staff couldn't get to work, many of them had water inside, so sitting it out wasn't an option. The lawyer said water was 4' deep in the street in front of her (probably waterfront ha ha) home. Fortunately my friend was driving an SUV so up to a foot of water was tolerable, as long as you knew to avoid any low spots. We took my new bicycle route which avoided all the gridlocked intersections. Local knowledge allowed me to guide him through a couple median jumps ( kind of tricky knowing where to do this when the whole area is submerged). My experience with the low spots allowed me to steer him away from any deeper areas and we got out of town safely.

Last edited:
1729441559260.png
During the peak of Wednesday’s deluge, a month’s worth of rain fell in just one hour. Fort Lauderdale’s average rainfall for April is 3 inches and it’s been nearly 25 years since the city totaled 20 inches of rain in an entire month.
Driving tip. In flooding conditions the streets can be found because they don't have trees or light poles sticking up. The problem is canals don't have them either. It's very common for people to drive right into canals in these conditions and drown.

Last edited:
I can’t top the flooding in Florida. That’s a lot of water! My commute home was flooded for about a week quite a few years ago. The police closed the road but I ignored them and all I got was wet socks. Nice, quiet roads too 😊 IMAG0735.jpeg

Not dramatic. Definitely a puddle. The New Forest, England. Ages ago - the bike was nicked in 2017 😢

Back