Bike Search

Molotov88

Retro Newbie
Hi there !

First of all do forgive if I'm posting this in a wrong section !

Having spent a year in Germany and gotten into biking while I was there I now went on a crusade to find myself a nice vintage in the UK for roughly £200, which I can take care of over upcoming few months.

Being fairly inexperienced in this sort of thing and having only basic knowledge of frame qualities and quality of the bikes produced by different manufacturers I am now researching more about what I should look for and how not to get ripped off.

As I said roughly 200 quid budget and I'm looking for a road bike.

Any hints on which rough models and frames are within my price range and what I should beware of ?

Thanks in advance and again, sorry if I'm in a wrong place

now, appreciating I am probably asking too much info all in one go without being specific

ATM planning to get a late 1980s raleigh strada - 531 frame ; sakae bars and stem; shimano exage 500ex gearing; exage 300 brakes and 500 levers shimano groupset exage 500 crank is the general outline. I am also offered two sets of wheels (tubeless wolber ;mavic rims; campagnolo hubs and a tubed set with alesa rims; shimano hubs and continental tyres) to take with it. The bike looks like its in great condition and I can get it for 125 - is that reasonable ?

Hi Molotov :) Many might disagree with me on this, but "I'd rip his arm off at that price". The wheels alone are worth that if they are in good condition, and you could do a whole lot worse on the bike for just the £125 asking price.

If you like it, then you won't be getting ripped off. Sell the wheels and get your money back, assuming it still has a pair left actually on it. Later buddy, Laz.

Back