Bar ends from BITD

Here are two styles of Syncros Steerhorns. The trouble I've found with the style on the left is that the 'set screw' has to be cranked tight to the point of crimping the end of the handlebar in order to gain sufficient purchase to hold tight.

Attachments

• steerhorns (Medium).JPG
    steerhorns (Medium).JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,315
That crimping can be an issue but what I did is put some small plugs in there and it took care of it quite handily. Bigger problem is the little lozenges that clamp onto the bar can crack over time. Just talked to a machinist where I work the other day and he is making me some more, but then again we are talking about an old part that in my case is used on a daily basis.

The great thing about the left hand ones is how smooth they are all over. The ones on the right have fewer uncomfortable bits than most bar ends but not as much as the left hand ones.

'guin

In total agreement on the comfort issue. When I bear down and go into time trial mode on a dry land training ride, there isn't anything like those Steerhorns.

I've got a set of the original steerhorns in minty condition if anyone wants 'em?

I bought them for a project but decided against using them :)

Apologies in advance for bringing up a 4 year old thread :?

Can anyone tell me if these are Syncros steerhorns? I found them in my shed today (typical x-mas bored with everything kind of day.. you know what I mean ;) ) and was not sure about them. There is no Syncros logo to bve found, but they look pretty much the same as the earlier ones posted here in this thread.

Thanks!

DSC_0612.JPG

DSC_0611.JPG

Yup, syncros. Do you have the wedges that fit in the holes inside as it won't work without them.

pete_mcc":344173xb said:
Yup, syncros. Do you have the wedges that fit in the holes inside as it won't work without them.

Yes, both of them are there. One was loose and fell out but it still fits. Is this a strong construction? They seem so very light...

They work really well, just be careful not to tighten the wedges too much as they can damage lightweight handlebars.

Back