bad reputation

Ride my nobly tyred mtb I get obviously blanked by a lot of rodies after I dip the helmet or say good morning.
Ride my slick tyred rigid mtb and I get a much greater ratio of greetings to blanks.
Not scientific and neither am I keeping a record, just an observation.

Easy_Rider":1jz3gdu6 said:
Ride my nobly tyred mtb I get obviously blanked;
Ride my slick tyred rigid mtb and I get a much greater ratio of greetings to blanks.

You reckon that at a closing speed of probably close to 50mph, approaching riders bother to asses the type of tyre you're using before they decide whether to say "Hi!" or not?

But I still don't see now being a roadie or not (who knows what his collection of 5 bikes consists of anyway?) has anything to do with it, apart from being a sweeping statement

+1

Sorry if that was offensive, I didn't mean it in that way

It wasn't, the meaning was clear. Christ, if there was no 'tech' in MTB'ing we'd all still be riding around on steel framed contraptions with cantilever brakes and no suspension. Wierd.

highlandsflyer":3oxmskbj said:
As far as the camaraderie, cyclists are cyclists in my experience, even the style obsessed urban hipsters. Never noticed a difference between different groups.

That's been my experience too - I always nod or wave hello to someone passing the other way, regardless of what they're riding.
Increasingly baffled, and slightly offended, by the animosity towards road riders from some quarters of Retrobike too. But then again, there's not many areas of cycling that I don't do - never owned a BMX or a track/fixed machine as yet though; I am quite clumsy/uncoordinated at times and either would be a recipe for a trip to A&E in my (in)capable hands.

David

Russell":1sg4qsdu said:
Christ, if there was no 'tech' in MTB'ing we'd all still be riding around on steel framed contraptions with cantilever brakes and no suspension.

I still am....OK, slight lie - I do have front suspension. ;)

David

Ah, the annual reappearance of the roadie thread. I've not much to add, think a few have summed things up nicely.

I ride the road a bit. Always try to acknowledge other cyclists with a wave. Get equally blanked by mtbers and roadies.

Russell":1xjxzyjn said:
David B":1xjxzyjn said:
- I do have front suspension.

Wash your mouth out.

Used to ride the same tracks and trails around here on my 'cross bike before I got my MTB - no suspension and at times felt a bit like Jim Dale in that scene with the hospital trolley going downstairs in Carry On Again Doctor.... ;)

David

MTB is full of roadies now and XC courses are nothing like they used to be (little in the way of technica/burly stuff) :(

That guy was an a**hole regardless of being a roadie or not.

I frequently see cyclists on road bikes and mountain bikes with no lights and have damn near killed a couple in my car when approaching in country lanes at night. I have been inclined to scream at them from the window for being stupid, but am normally past by then, so just have a rant to myself as I continue the journey.

Pedestrians seem to be worse though; often seen strolling down the road at night in black clothes with not torch, making no effort to get onto the verge - it makes me angry because whilst they may not care if they get knocked down and killed, being involved in an accident of this kind regardless of fault would be life changing. :(

I really don't think it takes that much effort to pack a small emergency light when going out for an afternoon ride; just in case you ride for longer than planned and get caught out. They are cheap as chips and weigh nothing.

I am not condoning the behaviour of the driver who shouted abuse and returned repeatedly to shout more, just saying that we can all give some thought to our own safety when riding and that of other road users. After all it might actually help to improve the image of cyclists from whatever "tribe" they spring. :) :cool:

John":nr16luv6 said:
I ride the road a bit. Always try to acknowledge other cyclists with a wave. Get equally blanked by mtbers and roadies.

Ain't that the truth. It's always been that way as far back as I can remember.

Back