Applying decals...

Applying decals /sticker is no different to shooting rattle can paint over a frame - anyone can do and as Tootyed points out kids have been habitually covering things in stickers since forever with NO Skill what so ever... so Imac wins on the dumb/entry level of things - fill yah boots buddy and carry on as you are.

The skill comes with making MORE than a good job of it - Straight / no air bubbles / correct spacing and if you’ve only got one set of decals .... getting it perfect pretty much first go !

I learnt something from Peachy and like I’ve said I was so blinkered to there only being one method (dry and clean) I genuinely believed he was pulling my pants down by suggesting using water and a small amount of soap

Sometime if we stop and listen you learn something

Peachy!":3hk6bhfm said:
Imlach":3hk6bhfm said:
Peachy!":3hk6bhfm said:
I LOVE STICKERS!!!!!! its easily the best bit :D

ok so the glee comes from years of actually doing it professionally and there is a huge difference between fitted graphics for a company that has usually made some spares and actually fitting your own, perhaps I should do a little video on U-tube specifically for fitting bike decals on tubing then post it on here?

Aye, make a video! I'm too thick to grasp the concept of putting sticky things on my bike, sadly :facepalm:

Ok, no problem. I won’t bother...

My message was actually not meant ironically, I would really love a video. I can see how the message might have come across differently than intended, apologies for that. As you can see earlier in the thread I did voice my concerns about applying decals, I haven't got experience with that and would love an in depth guide.

Sorry about getting the hump, bad day yesterday..
Anyway, video for what it’s worth is done;

I’ve been told by teenage tech support to be patient…

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to make and post this.

If you have seen any of my builds you may notice i never re decal any of them, regardless of fading or missing decals. Patina , one of Nicks favourite words :) i have a couple of frames i will be building one day, which i will be applying and fixing the decals so i will be using this technique as i will be wanting them as perfect as i can get them, and i seriously doubt it will be on the first attempt :)

:cool:

Popped back into the workshop just now to put the sticker where I really wanted it :D

Attachments

• 3637088E-E9FF-46AB-854A-932FD53A01CB.jpeg
    3637088E-E9FF-46AB-854A-932FD53A01CB.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 885
dave69":22y7gamy said:
attempted the head tube decal today and made an ass of it , i was doing ok up to this point , although it looked straight to me the wife said it was miles off , i must have one leg shorter than the other lol

Dave, I just noticed your previous post about making your own, just thought I’d better mention that the wet method only works with “permanent adhesives” the sort that Gil at RetroDecals & Steve at HLloyd cycles use.
Some but not all “home kit” vinyl adhesives break down when wet, so best to test first... plus also they don’t hold well with wet riding or jet washing....

I’ve just put some biggish stickers on my scooter. No wrinkles or bubbles. Get a spray bottle with a bit of water in it and a few drops of liquid soap. Spray the area then peel the back off the sticker and spray that. You can move the sticker about in the liquid to get the position perfect then squidge the liquid away, which gets rid of any bubbles. The sticker will stick hard in a short time. I then removed a paper backing and it looks good!

Peachy!":2kb94eg7 said:
Sorry about getting the hump, bad day yesterday..
Anyway, video for what it’s worth is done;

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv1ChXJrH6c[/youtube]

great tut ;)

at 6.35 after you've used the kitchen towel to remove excess water ... can the decal still be tweaked at this stage?

Latest posts

Back