Anyone need machining doing?

classen":3dq1doid said:
Broady, do you know what the cut depth is for a 1" 24TPI die? Just curious how much material would be left on 1.65mm thick Ti tubing after cutting threads.

IIRC it's a couple of tenths over .02. Measure the ID of a threaded 1" headset nut, subtract from 1 and divide by 2.

Broady":3dq1doid said:
Ti seems to be fairly hard to source here in the UK

It's nice to have friends in the aerospace industry. :D

66e77f77.jpg

6afee04f.jpg

Christ I'd dread to think what that first block would cost! You got any interesting plans for it?

No plans for it as of yet. It sits on a shelf in the garage waiting for some inspiration. A lot of material gets scrapped in that industry for the oddest reasons. IIRC the certification for those Ti billets was misplaced and it was useless. I can get magnesium plate whenever I need it. Someone touches some stock with their bare hand, and it get's tossed in the bin.

FMJ":1buyylgj said:
classen":1buyylgj said:
Broady, do you know what the cut depth is for a 1" 24TPI die? Just curious how much material would be left on 1.65mm thick Ti tubing after cutting threads.

IIRC it's a couple of tenths over .02. Measure the ID of a threaded 1" headset nut, subtract from 1 and divide by 2.

Broady":1buyylgj said:
Ti seems to be fairly hard to source here in the UK

It's nice to have friends in the aerospace industry. :D

66e77f77.jpg

6afee04f.jpg

I see a crankset there! ;)

Charlieboy28":1jjwi2vt said:
Hi ya Broady,

sorry about the drawing, could you rustle me up one of these please so i can go and get some NOS parts please

Just back from my Grans funeral. Saddest day I've had in a long time, but this has cheered me up no end!!
Thankyou :D

Turned out a stem and made a copper top cap to fit flush in, nice little mod.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 893
Last week I got a set of Paul brakes (Love Levers + Stoplites) from a friend. Went to put them on my DK, and the bag only had 3 of the 4 cable widgets (one goes in the Moon Unit, one goes in one of the brake arms). Made up a 4th one at work on Friday (Paul's is on the left, mine is on the right). Looks simple enough, you say........

466694e7.jpg

Except for one minor detail. I don't have a lathe.

I am quite good at thinking outside the box, however. ;)

Back