Anyone else gone to the dark side? Confession: I’ve just bought a 29er..

I think you are absolutely right. Geometry is the key. Tbh the 29ers i had and rode were basically big wheel 26" bikes.....and yes sluggish and unwieldy....

Maybe i should try something more radical in geometry.
They have certainly changed a huge amount in 10 years. My last three big 29er bikes have basically been the new version of the last (Orange 5 29, Segment, Stage 5) so have seen first hand how the changes have had an effect. Before that I had a 2009 and 2006 Orange 5 on 26 inch wheels.

Wrong! I know what "boost" is.🙂 Plus, I know the justification for it. No need to "retrosplain" these ridiculous new standards to me.😂
There is in fact a 20mm x 110mm boost.

And that's what I'm saying. New DH (20mm x 110mm) boost wheels are not compatibile with the old 20mm x 110mm DH forks.

I’ll admit that DH boost had passed me by. I’d wrongly assumed you were talking about single crown forks with 20mm axles.

That still doesn’t make the boost concept ridiculous. It adds 10mm in between front hub flanges that was lost when disc mounts were introduced. Stronger, stiffer wheel with little weight gain. On the rear I’m not convinced that boost went far enough (only 6mm) and the lesser used Super Boost (an extra 15mm) would have been a better option.
Yes, old 26” wheels won’t be compatible but it doesn’t matter as no one big company makes new DH forks for 26” anyway.

The thing is, all this has happened before. Rear hubs went from 130 to 135. I remember having to stretch a frame apart to fit new wheels in because I hadn’t known this. Freewheels went to freehubs. Canti’s and v brakes don’t play well with each other’s levers making old STI shifters useless. My first three mtb’s all had different headset/stem sizes and I have a collection of obscure sized seatposts I’ll never use but aren’t worth the price of postage.
It’s not a new story. As humans we hate change and just want our preferred option to stay forever.

I’d say things are actually pretty stable at the moment, but it can be a nightmare figuring all the sizes you need if you are piecing a bike together rather than buying complete. See @ishaw ‘s on going parts dilemma threads in the 98+ section for example.

It’s ALL about the geometry and that’s it.
And flex.

I had my 29er brazed from bespoke tubing with my weight, dodgy back and probable loading for solo touring considered for geometry and flexibility/forgiveness/rigidity.

A wonderfully constructed compromise that I’ve only ridden rigid. And achieved 55mph on bare and 46mph fully laden. Taken down ‘mountains’, climbed the Brecons. Traversed the country.

BE1E1185-385E-4C7D-A709-B588C9194B98.jpeg 101866D3-6DC7-4614-9E01-4C48BF80AE43.jpeg

29er isn't the dark side. More like the grey side. Confession time. My wife got a Peloton. I tried it out. It wasn't bad for a winter workout when it would be a challenge to hit my local trail.

I finally bought one 18 months ago:

finished-m900-rebuild-2-jpg.692222

I with Clubby's frequent encouragement as we are both MacRetro and I am a bigger Conservative retrobiker than most have finally joined the dark side with an On-One Scandal 29er. I have not suddenly found a desire to ride faster, or tackle gnarlier trails. I am now just the owner of a bike that compensates for my aging, unfit, incompetence. As my fitness has declined, my skills and competence has declined. Result I cannot get a 26er around even familiar trails as well as I used to. I can however get around these same trails at my usual pedestrian pace intact on this all new 29er. The bigger wheels have brought the fun back without the beating up and pain😁👍

29er isn't the dark side. More like the grey side. Confession time. My wife got a Peloton. I tried it out. It wasn't bad for a winter workout when it would be a challenge to hit my local trail.

Taking a Peloton to your local trail is a challenge I'd actually pay money to see.

Back