Anyone cycle with their dog?

Dogs

I bike with my two huskies. I have them harnessed and hitched together the same as when they pull a rig and use their leads instead of a gangline.
They are fast :shock: I have gone the first 3/4 of a mile of our three mile training loop doing 18 - 24 mph and not one turn of the pedals. Its a bit risky as all it takes is for one to decide to stop or pull to the side and bang! they will rip the bike from under you. Its a lot safer with the rig.
You end up riding the brakes to keep them in check and I was going through a set of pads every four days when we were out last spring.
Use a harness if you want them to pull ahead like this rather than a normal lead and collar, so the power is not coming from the neck, which is really harmful to the dog, rather with a harness it pulls from its back and shoulders. Its also good to use a harness when having them work/pull and a lead when walking as my dogs walk fine on their leads but harness them up and they know they are about to run so pull like mad.
If its just to walk along as you ride I would just use a lead and collar, which would be good. My dogs see a bike or harness and there is no way they are going to walk anywhere.
Great fun, and there are a few links to places that promote it, if I can find them I will stick them up.
Good luck
Jamie

Attachments

• Jamie_Fiona.JPG
    Jamie_Fiona.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,380
Re: Dogs

Jamiedyer":5646z17y said:
I bike with my two huskies. I have them harnessed and hitched together the same as when they pull a rig and use their leads instead of a gangline.
They are fast :shock: I have gone the first 3/4 of a mile of our three mile training loop doing 18 - 24 mph and not one turn of the pedals. Its a bit risky as all it takes is for one to decide to stop or pull to the side and bang! they will rip the bike from under you. Its a lot safer with the rig.
You end up riding the brakes to keep them in check and I was going through a set of pads every four days when we were out last spring.
Use a harness if you want them to pull ahead like this rather than a normal lead and collar, so the power is not coming from the neck, which is really harmful to the dog, rather with a harness it pulls from its back and shoulders. Its also good to use a harness when having them work/pull and a lead when walking as my dogs walk fine on their leads but harness them up and they know they are about to run so pull like mad.
If its just to walk along as you ride I would just use a lead and collar, which would be good. My dogs see a bike or harness and there is no way they are going to walk anywhere.
Great fun, and there are a few links to places that promote it, if I can find them I will stick them up.
Good luck
Jamie

Blimey, you're crazy! haha. He isn't harness trained and I don't intend to - the idea of is that we both exercise so him pulling me along isn't achieving that!! I taught him to trot next to me with his head about level with my leg and the 'away' command if he gets too close. Oh and right and left for when I need to turn.

I think I've just misjudged the speed I need to ride at V the speed he trots at :(

There was an article in MBUK way back when (1992?) about dry husky dog racing, up in Scotland I think

I've wanted to do it ever since

On snow would be even better ....

My golden retriever wouldn't think of keeping up if I was on a bike. He'd much rather chase the postman!

IMG_2611.jpg

These two dafties just prefer to run after each other lol :LOL: Ahh a nice brisk day in January by the North Sea....

I ride with my dog when i can. He'll run and run, he'll keep up downhill, up to about 20mph. He's loyalty is unreal, he'll carry on running, even over rough rocky ground. He's cut his pads a few times, but still keeps up. Here he is, doing what he does best.
Oh, he's a 4 year old english springer (bit of pointer in him somewhere though!), called Ralph.

Attachments

• DSCF0281comp.jpg
    DSCF0281comp.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 596
  • DSCF0282comp.jpg
    DSCF0282comp.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 596
I take mine to Afan Argoed on weekday mornings early when nobody else is about ;) they stick pretty close but do fly off and chase squirrels now and again :LOL:

nc101.jpg

Back