Antwack's KLEIN Pulse

Antwack

Senior Retro Guru
Hello everyone

I thought I'd start a thread on this build to document my progress and hopefully get some information, feedback, pointers etc.

Although I've been around MTB's since the early nineties (every penny I got was handed over the counter at the LBS (Thatto Cycles in St.Helens if anyone knows it?), there was a gap in my education from around the millennium until lockdown (20 years!) where I needed something to keep me occupied so I bought an M-Trax frame which I built up into a bike. During the gap of 20 years I was more focused on restoring cars but pushbikes are cheaper and easier to store and work on. As I enjoyed it so much I thought I'd do another. I've also bought and sold a few retro bikes during the last few years and been reminiscing on this forum so all's good!

So, I'm keen with a spanner but no expert!

I'm aware this is a more modern, bottom end Klein but I remember BITD lusting over this brand with their special looking frames and paint jobs.

So, when I spotted this for sale, it made sense to buy it. I bought it off a forum member and it arrived quickly (last Monday) and well packaged. It's sat here in my office and I intend to take it home with me when I leave work today as it looks like the weather will be nice at the weekend so I can tinker. It's been resprayed but it needs a bit of lacquer (any recommendations for this?) on the down tube as the decals were removed and re-applied. The other thing I need to look at is cleaning up the threads in the BB shell.

I'm not aiming for catalogue spec or a wall queen... this will be built and used. I'll probably source most of the parts off this forum.

As it stands I have the frame (obviously!), Rock Shox, headset, stem, handlebar, derailleurs, cantis, seat, chainset and spokie dokies (joking). I'll keep checking the For Sale section to see if any of the missing items crop up.

k1.jpg k2.jpg unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
A later Klein, but still a damn good frame, that doesn't cost the earth either 👍🏻
Looks like a 110-113mm bottom bracket should fit the STX chainset, see the link below to Sheldon Brown database & scroll down till you find the STX chainsets. Easy enough to measure the BB shell to see if it's 68 or 73mm.

A later Klein, but still a damn good frame, that doesn't cost the earth either 👍🏻
Looks like a 110-113mm bottom bracket should fit the STX chainset, see the link below to Sheldon Brown database & scroll down till you find the STX chainsets. Easy enough to measure the BB shell to see if it's 68 or 73mm.

Do you know what year this frame is? Is it in the wrong section?

Thanks for the BB info... the member I bought the frame from kindly sent me that link but I was confused!

No idea on year, looks post-trek merger though, maybe someone else might know. Is there a serial number?

The STX chainset I intend to use has the BB spindle stuck in the left-hand arm. I'm hoping to make use of the vice in the Maintenance workshop at work this afternoon.

Notice where the pedal attaches to the arm... is that some sort of extension? Never seen anything like it before.

IMG-0834.jpg
IMG-0835.jpg

I received 2 handlebars in the post this morning. I bought both as I wasn't sure which to use but I think I'll use the X-LITE one.

unnamed.jpg

Well, the spindle has now been removed but the teeth of the vice have left these nasty marks. What's the best way to remove them... a bit of wet 'n' dry and then polish? I do have a Dremel type multi-tool that may help.

unnamed.jpg

I’ve used wet and dry to remove as much damage as possible. Not perfect but will do.

image.jpg

Thought I’d make a start on cleaning the chainset so out with the soapy water and the Mrs toothbrush.

IMG_0908.jpeg IMG_0909.jpeg

Latest posts

Back