And today I did......

Managed out after work and got some dirt under the tyres. Nothing major, just some back roads and dirt tracks but not as muddy as I expected. Enjoying being back on a hardtail and the 29er just rolls so well it's like cheating.

Since it was dry I was going to go out with youngest daughter on our bikes, took her's out of shed, feck, flat front tyre.
No problem, change the tube. Couldn't get tyre off rim using plastic tyre levers in my tool-kit I carry for trail repairs. It's some some generic offroad looking tyre.
Tried with a pair of Lezyne aluminium levers, could only get so much of bead over edge of rim before it was too tight for the effin' too short levers. Had to resort to using 2 spoons, last time I used spoons as tyre levers was er, a looong time ago in my teens, even with the spoons it was a struggle. Couldn't believe how tight it was.
At last got tube out, it was a thorn in tyre puncture. Had to dig it out with the point of a pair of scissors.
If this had happened out on a ride, it would have meant a walk back. So these tyres will be getting ditched ASAP.

Back from a couple of weeks of sun drenched , all inclusive goodness on the island of Menorca. Three 3 course meals a day and unlimited beer , wine , cola , coffee etc has taken its toll !!

Went for a 6 mile blast in the rain on my 1985 Raleigh Clubman :D

Very quickly regretted taking the full length mudguards off, lazer guided rain from the tip of the tyre into my face - hurts :cry:

Hawmaw":17i5vxed said:
Back from a couple of weeks of sun drenched , all inclusive goodness on the island of Menorca. Three 3 course meals a day and unlimited beer , wine , cola , coffee etc has taken its toll !!

Ditto! Albeit only a week, I wouldnae like to see the damage I could do in two weeks :oops:

Talking about weight I've gone all a bit Kaiser and tried to predict the weight of my new build. I don't have scales so it is all based on online figures so will probably be tragically wrong.

But for just now I have added it up at bang on 10Kg (22lb) which I reckon is pretty good for a fully geared hard tail with front bounce and discs. And no real weight weenie parts on it.

It will end up heavier though as it always does with me.

kaiser":14vt6xq3 said:
Did you tell us what it is yet Taz?

Salsa.

I posted a hint. What I will say is that it is a rider and nothing more. No pretty bits going on, just kit that will work on it. Scabby paintwork that I don't think I'll bother patching up. The Salsa Moto Rapido that was for sale in the post 98 that looked scabby as hell. It is but I got a good price on it.

It's my disc brake bike that I've been planning to do for ages. Frame and fork are coming in at around 2.8Kg so it's a good base to work from.

I did see the head badge but wasn't sure you'd told us what it was. I think Rado has one of these? Funnily enough I was going to offer you my Salsa.

kaiser":2h2a7s4v said:
I did see the head badge but wasn't sure you'd told us what it was. I think Rado has one of these? Funnily enough I was going to offer you my Salsa.

I think there would be slight height issues Kaiser. This one is 13.5" CtoC on the seat post! It's pretty tiny even for me which helps the weight a lot, not to mention the frame is scandium with a carbon fibre rear triangle. I was heading towards steel for comfort but apparently the carbon fibre helps soften the ride on these.

Latest posts

Back