And today I did......

Got out around Glentress today - weather was fine, bit drizzly but nothing much. Not a big fan of the new cafe though - it's too "ski-centre" for me, and I was about to have an empire biscuit but then I saw they were £1.65 each :shock: I miss the hub :(

I don't. Never got a seat at weekends and service was slow. £1.65 for a biscuit sounds about right compared to Starbucks etc. I agree it could be better positioned and the view is non existent, but overall I like it. Prices are always going to be above average but they have to make money at busy times to cover the lean times over winter.

Meh, I know I'm a grumpy bastard and I don't like change, but it just doesn't feel like Glentress any more. The Hub wasn't the best, but it had a grass-roots mountain biking feel about it that I liked. The new one is very corporate by comparison, not nearly as individual as The Hub.

Rumble":jb14gjba said:
Meh, I know I'm a grumpy bastard and I don't like change, but it just doesn't feel like Glentress any more. The Hub wasn't the best, but it had a grass-roots mountain biking feel about it that I liked. The new one is very corporate by comparison, not nearly as individual as The Hub.

+1 :?

+2 :(

Inevitable though as it is the Jewel in the Crown of Trail Centres.

Due to serious soakings I have not ventured out to the Euro Cycle Massenger Champs in Edinburgh but I did nab my entry goody bag so now sport a natty Cervello logo'd cap. Nice folk those couriers but seriously fit and skilled unlike me :LOL:

To be honest I always took my own food anyway. Only ever used the hub midweek. I did love the carrot cake and went down the week it shut for one final fix. Trails are so busy now I find it hard to get any flow going, loads of big groups of riders insisting on riding together and stopping mid-section to regroup. Was getting grumpy about it (must be an age thing) but now only go midweek to avoid the hoards. Had to go on a Saturday recently for a test ride and it was mobbed.
Thing that annoyed me most about glentress recently are the signs in the new car park telling you to dismount to cross the road as the wood boards may be slippy! Have they ever even been up the hill?

Used the new caf on our Sunday GT ride for the first time. Don't know how the food compares (hub was pretty average anyway), cakes were probably better at the hub though.

Ach, I know what you're saying, but there is no way the old hub could have dealt with the sheer volume of people now using the place - The increase in folk is staggering.

Large groups riding together and regrouping at intersections..............yup that describes a MacRetro ride to a tee. If you require constant movement and flow you'd best not ride with us Clubby :LOL:

No problem with regrouping at intersections it's just when people push past then stop half way up a single track climb it annoys me. I could just get fitter and out climb everyone but that sounds like too hard work. More fun just to moan about it.
I've ridden with you at Pitmedden and if flowed fine, despite your predictions my plastic bike would fall apart.

Thats slander, I never predicted your bike would disintegrate, I much admired that splendid steed :cool:

As for riding with us, I'm sorry I forgot who you were, I have chronic short term mermory issues, need to write more down provided I can remember where I put my note book :?

Back