And today I did......

If they shot the micro car it would fall over or else it'd leave a neat entry and exit hole unless they were using hollow tip which would probably take a door off :LOL:

Keep up Dyna :roll:

I have a four wheeled microcar currently not fixed but will be eventually. I used to have a Reliant Robin nearly 2 years past of 1990 vintage. It had an anti roll bar in its suspension and I never came close to flipping it. The reputation of Reliants for falling over was fixed by the early 1980's with the fitting of the anti roll bar to the then Rialto but alas the public had got the idea set in their mind and still believe they cant go around corners. Jeremy Clarkson only rolled the one in Top Gear because they'd removed the roll bar and any other low slung heavy thing such as the fuel tank plus other mods to make it unstable. Its all fake and any car can be rolled whilst cornering if the drivers a big enough arse !

A long time ago I was at a garage in Stirling getting an exhaust fitted and was watching the guy doing it. I kept hearing an engine revving followed by a loud scraping noise, when I heard it the 3rd time I wandered out the back of garage just in time to see a Robin/Rialto sliding along on it's side in yard behind garage. The guys working there were taking turns driving it up the access lane to yard then yanking on steering-wheel to coup it on it's side.
This was causing great merriment to them and I must admit I laughed a bit myself when they kept on doing it.

I also knew a guy who worked at same pit as me in the '80's who had a 3-wheeler, he managed to coup his a few times. He also got it stuck in a puddle in the pit yard once. He was turning it round in car park next to the weigh-bridge for the coal lorries and there was a very big puddle next to weigh-bridge. Taking a wide turn to avoid the chance of couping it he went into puddle, trouble was it was about a foot and a half deep and his front wheel got stuck in the hole. :oops:
He did have a big audience as it was the end of shift and hame time, oh how we did laugh. :LOL:

If you pile along in a straight line then howk the steering wheel sharply right or left then you'll fall over thats obvious and if the wheel falls into an 18" deep hole it will crash thats obvious too :roll:

I'd like to see how well behaved say a MK1 ford fiesta (similar size/technology level) would be in identical situations. Further most high off the deck four wheel drives like Daihatsu Fourtracks and Suzuki Jeeps also fall over if you turn too sharply suddenly.

The bad press of reliants is exagerated, not unfounded I'll admit but blown out of proportion. They're slow, underpowered and generally driven by folk who value economy over performance and thus dont generally end up on their roofs. Insurance is also low which suggests further the claims are exagerated.

Hmmmm, think I'll need to fix and sell the Microcar. I want a Rialto 2 door with the yellow top engine, less practical than the estate but less common to :cool: Dont want a Regal or Mk 1 Robin though, no roll bar and less streamlined so prone to weaving :roll:

I think I'm a reliant nut...oh dear more cash :LOL:

Sorry velo, I wasn't meaning that to come across as having a go at you. :oops:

I've done some very dumb things with 4-wheeled cars over the years, looking back I'm lucky to have never hurt myself because of that stupidity.

First one was when I was about 20, going to work driving along dead straight road into the pit where I worked. Road had about 2 inches of snow on it so was playing about sliding it with handbrake (it was a Mini) when it tripped up on edge of verge and fell on it's side. Climbed out drivers door and managed to lift it back onto wheels myself, only damage was dent to lhs front wing. Weeks later noticed foot-prints (Adidas if I remember right) on passenger side door window, took me a while to realise how they had got there.

Its OK, I dont really have a thick enough skin for Reliant ownership but I do like them, the more I talk about them the more I want another. I love vehicles with quirky character and I'm a fan of the underdog :roll:

My wife's brother used to be a Reliant owner.

Well he had 2 Scimitars. One he drove and the other bought as spares. Fixed the spare one up and gave it to his girl-friend to drive.

Just remembered the 750 Motor Club has the 750 Formula that was basically a self-built chassis and a tuned 850cc Reliant engine. Although reading the regs they can use a 1108cc Fiat engine now as well.
Used to read about them in Triple C years ago. Was always impressed with their ingenuity in tuning the engine and the chassis designs.

Back