And today I did......

Just back from an enjoyable but tiring weekend at Bootstock.

Cycled down from Gills Bay (ferry port near John o Groats) to Tain on Friday, 84.5 miles at 14.8mph with panniers, then enjoyed some beers and endured some European Championship footy, setting me up for a nice hangover on Saturday. First time cycling the Berriedale Braes- they were okay (if you are not in a hurry).

Up at 8 to pack stuff for the festival (I'm on the committee, so was working all day) , set up the hall, 16 miles on the bike cjecking out the route for next day, 12 hours of music, venison burgers and beer, than crashed out at the hall about 2am.

Up at 8 on Sunday, tidied stuff up and cycled 21 miles to Inverness. Got train to Inverurie where it terminated due to line works and cycled 21 miles to Aberdeen to get the 5pm ferry to Kirkwall into an aggravatingly strong SE'ly. Arrived Kirkwall 11.15pm, into a southerly gale that meant I was in the granny gear doing 10mph on the flat to get home. It seemed a bit harsh.

Now currently about to start my fourth cup of tea of the day, and get a bus to where I left my car in South Ronaldsay.

Yesterday I finished miniKens 46er - Street tests seem pretty good, will do some offroad soon, front brake snaps like a piranha which will take a bit of getting used to, never had a brake that stops so fast, I think the tyre helps.

Pedals are a little pink when they were meant to be red, he doesn't mind them just now.

I reckon he will ask for suspension and a 24 inch front wheel before too long, but this will teach him how to pick a line and land a jump properly.

25a1ff10.jpg

The 2.35 rear tyre fits, just, I had to shave a little rubber off :)
c0600fd8.jpg

ab73e466.jpg

He has added stickers now too, reasonably well placed, I made him polish it first :) he didn't like that.

Cool looking little bike.

Every time I see a bike that sort of shape I get the fear of the arse/tyre distance being too close for my ease of mind. I just know I'd be the mug that dropped right off the back of the saddle on a steep descent and got sucked into the back of the seatpost.

Ouch!

Nice one TK :cool: what frame is it? And nice comment on the brakes :LOL: is that compared to your hope/ubrake set up :LOL:

That's compared to all brakes I have tried including the Juicy Threes I've just tested on my mates £1000 hardtail. It just stops dead even with me on it, but the low seat and long rake rigid forks stop you going over the handle bars, weird but good, but I'll see what it is like off-road.

Here is what it cost, could have been done for less but I wanted it to look good.

Wellgo Pedals £16
DMR Tyres £36
Halo Skewers £10
Suntour 153mm Cranks £20
Hope Hub Rear £25 - Thanks to big eck for the karma rim and wheel build
Forks Project 2 - £18
Frame - 24'' Wheeled Hotrock - Packet of biscuits and bottle of wine to LBS
All the rest karma and previous donor bike.

I guess with the frame and forks it should be called a Konalized.

Tazio":215bzdh9 said:
Cool looking little bike.

Every time I see a bike that sort of shape I get the fear of the arse/tyre distance being too close for my ease of mind. I just know I'd be the mug that dropped right off the back of the saddle on a steep descent and got sucked into the back of the seatpost.

Ouch!

Thanks Tazio, I have a rear mud guard that clips to the seat post, I think I'll install it now you have pointed it out. :)

The Ken":22310o34 said:
Thanks Tazio, I have a rear mud guard that clips to the seat post, I think I'll install it now you have pointed it out. :)

I don't imagine the wee guy will thank you for a mudguard.

Anyway the young are fearless, it's just us over 40's that have over active imaginations. :roll:

Latest posts

Back