And today I did......

true but have you forgotten where I live , hills are a strange and rare occurrence the locals fear and chase with pointy sticks :LOL:

I will probably get a fancy turbo trainer too and don't fancy the durability of a carbon bike on one , I had my lava dome on the turbo trainer a few years ago and even under light pedaling there was a noticeable flex , well I say flex , more like a sway :LOL:

I think I would rather walk than own an alloy frame so that's a non starter and carbon doesn't inspire me with great confidence long term . I don't want to end up with 2 or more road bikes , I already own too many mtb's as it is and I'm thinking of a way to trim them down ( currently thinking of breaking the trailstar and firemountain and getting something lighter for the winter riding which is what those 2 have been used for ) I want something that can be bunged on a trainer but also nice , because I want something nice :LOL: There is a silly amount of nice stuff kicking about the shop ( found a cut away hope hub in a pile of assorted crap ) . People who have their bikes worked on by shops would like to think that those people doing the work aren't spending their time riding the cheaper stuff . I always thought that was the whole point , the guy in the shop owns awesome stuff so your happy to have your not as awesome stuff worked on there . It's kinda like having your xtr groupset fitted by someone who only rides acera . Not terribly confidence inspiring . And it's one of the few perks of the job , it's not exactly a highly paid job but you get to buy stuff cheaper ( maybe not a great deal cheaper but :( )

I really like the idea of using a really nice old frameset ( when I have the money I see no problem in spending £500 or a bit more for a worthwhile frame ) but mostly new parts , if you don't just throw bits at the frame it should look sweet .

Another problem with carbon frames is they are always covered in writing and flashy graphics .

Venture over to the roadie part of Retrobike, one of my mates got an absolutely mint Fausto Coppi road frame for £100 a few weeks ago. Gorgeous looking thing.

Today I bought my first ever carbon fibre bike part!

I've been looking for a black seat stem having decided red or blue was too flash and wanted to get one locally out a shop. Turns out it's bloody hard to find a black 27.2 diameter, 400mm long seatpost in Edinburgh that isn't covered in garish logos that doesn't sting you for over £100. Managed to get a no brand carbon fibre one in Velo Ecosse for £40 (obviously not top notch but light and the perfect size, and close enough to black to keep me happy.

And he gave me some of the little rubber doughnut things to stop cables slapping off the top of the frame as a free gift. Top bloke.

kaiser":1jitg7f5 said:
What bike?

The dekerf. Scratched the headtube decal and thought I had scratched the fork stations as well but that was just paint transferal. Luckily the rack gave in before the bike did but it's rather unnerving looking out ur side window at ur bike hanging there :LOL:

perry":gfq3isbe said:
true but have you forgotten where I live , hills are a strange and rare occurrence the locals fear and chase with pointy sticks :LOL:

I will probably get a fancy turbo trainer too and don't fancy the durability of a carbon bike on one , I had my lava dome on the turbo trainer a few years ago and even under light pedaling there was a noticeable flex , well I say flex , more like a sway :LOL:

I think I would rather walk than own an alloy frame so that's a non starter and carbon doesn't inspire me with great confidence long term . I don't want to end up with 2 or more road bikes , I already own too many mtb's as it is and I'm thinking of a way to trim them down ( currently thinking of breaking the trailstar and firemountain and getting something lighter for the winter riding which is what those 2 have been used for ) I want something that can be bunged on a trainer but also nice , because I want something nice :LOL: There is a silly amount of nice stuff kicking about the shop ( found a cut away hope hub in a pile of assorted crap ) . People who have their bikes worked on by shops would like to think that those people doing the work aren't spending their time riding the cheaper stuff . I always thought that was the whole point , the guy in the shop owns awesome stuff so your happy to have your not as awesome stuff worked on there . It's kinda like having your xtr groupset fitted by someone who only rides acera . Not terribly confidence inspiring . And it's one of the few perks of the job , it's not exactly a highly paid job but you get to buy stuff cheaper ( maybe not a great deal cheaper but :( )

I really like the idea of using a really nice old frameset ( when I have the money I see no problem in spending £500 or a bit more for a worthwhile frame ) but mostly new parts , if you don't just throw bits at the frame it should look sweet .

Another problem with carbon frames is they are always covered in writing and flashy graphics .

what sort of riding you going to do on the bike perry xc? I would def. recommend a really nice steel frame (spend the dosh on this) as a base and get stuff that is good and works not necessarily expensive- should be a few bits you could salvage from work ;)

Which one ? the road bike will just be cruising around on , on the trainer and maybe a few rides with the roadies at work and the local club . As for mtb I like to own a durable winter bike that I can just ride then throw in a muddy heap when I get in , I want to get back to riding nearly daily again like I used to do on the trailstar , but that bike weighs 33lbs . I was hoping I could get something in ti ( no rust or scratched paint ) cheap , I'm not sure if I'll like ti but if I'm going to have to pay near handmade prices I think I'll have a rethink . I really don't like owning so many bikes , they all end up the same :LOL:

I will keep the explosif as it's so fun and not too heavy . get a road bike , do my s&m dirt bike to near mid 90s spec and sort something for winter use ( would have to be disc )

Want this http://www.colnago.com/bikes/2011/master-x-light

Will have to see how much I can get a frameset for , probably over a grand , ouch , but oh so pretty . Was planning on going for stealth black but the red is very nice and I normally hate red stuff .

Funny thing is because the shop hires bikes I could just keep using those and the demo ones , shame most are fully slosh .

And I've just discovered I need a narrower bottom bracket.

Which is a little bit annoying to say the least. I put it down to my usual front derailleur incompetence but after having a proper look I can see I have nowhere near enough swing to move across the rings.

Bugger.

Tazio":3uclr0xy said:
And I've just discovered I need a narrower bottom bracket.

Which is a little bit annoying to say the least. I put it down to my usual front derailleur incompetence but after having a proper look I can see I have nowhere near enough swing to move across the rings.

Bugger.

But I carried on regardless just to see how it would feel. And the answer is nice, very smooth and solid feeling. Not as light as I thought it would be by the time I got the gubbins all on it. That could be because the forks weigh a ton but they bounce nice and smoothly and make a nice gurgling sound. I'll get a new BB on by the weekend.

Just for Mikee some pics :D

Attachments

• driveside2.JPG
    driveside2.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 111
  • nondriveside.JPG
    nondriveside.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 111
Back