And today I did......

Oooh - forgot about that one - forced to "do" Archeology for a year to fill in course points. Looks neat. Gazillions better than all the brochs in Caithness :D

Will advise progress northwards once we have sussed accommodation requirements. Any decent campsites on Orkney or is it too windy? :?:

.......but have they successfully produced offspring yet?

did a nice we 20 mile offroad trip on the munter2 today and all I could think about was how much pain kaiser must be in if I feel tired after this wee pootle.

Talking of the Iron Chancellor...

ktri.jpg

Wonder how he's feeling :D

Was at Glentress today with miniKen and his pal.
I will however be back down in 2 or 3 weeks to give miniKen a full day of riding as this one was cut short by my demise on the freeride park.

Landing a jump my chain came off as I went full on to pedal out of it... straight to the ground, knee is a squidgy mess and forearm looks like I put a belt sander to it.

To add to that, a little later, the other lads rear derailuer launched itself into his spokes and tore the wheel apart.

I had to ride down to the bottom carpark on the blue run with one leg held straight as it didn't want ot bend, and one foot pedaling the flatter bits.

Painfully long drive home in monsoon rains. Body armour ordered after picking out all the small sones from my knee.

Lost: small flap of knee shaped skin - hand it in if you find it.

[to Rob] Start at Penzance and I'll join you...

I cycled home from Edinburgh in 2004, and the cycle route beside the A9 is really nice. There is a good bunkhouse in Aviemore, and I highlt recommend the Ptarmigan Guest House in Blair Atholl as well. Further north, the Nip Inn in Lairg is a good place to stop if go inland via Crask and Bettyhill to avoid the hideous stretch of A9 north of Inverness.

Mr Panda":2eyn8dmc said:
Will advise progress northwards once we have sussed accommodation requirements. Any decent campsites on Orkney or is it too windy? :?:

Campsites etc. listed here: http://visitorkney.com/brochure/CAMPING_CARAVANS_HOSTELS_2010.pdf

The Kirkwall one is sheltered and has all mod cons, the Stromness one is right on a headland and while affording dramatic views of the ferry as it goes past is rather exposed. There is also a private campsite in Evie, the Eviedale campsite, that isn't listed there.

This might also be handy: http://www.orkneycommunities.co.uk/businesses.asp?intent=businesses&catid=151

Note that the agricultural show season is about to start here, with THE big event of the year, the County Show, taking place literally a beer cans throw away from my house on the 14th August. This means that the campsite in Kirkwall that weekend will be full of drunk people from Wick.

What's on listing from VisitOrkney here: http://visitorkney.com/events/events_detail.asp?month=8&year=2010

Wick - oh yes - used to holiday there :oops: Frequently :oops: :oops:

Long standing memory of a chappie who'd just passed his apprenticeship or whatever being hauled trough the river beside the town centre car park (approx 1972) covered in gooey stuff and seaweed then driven round town on the back of a landrover :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Teenagers these days just don't know how to enjoy themselves ;)

Latest posts

Back